Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Ultimate, Boots slowly, CPU 100%, Still slow on clean install

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Vixis

Vixis

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:30 PM

FIXED UPDATE!! Reset the bios and that fixed everything. Apparently "I didn't do anything except run F9 diagnostics" (said the culprit friend) meant they went in the bios and fiddled around but failed to mention it or they had no idea what they did. That'll teach me not to trust that statement... :)

Slow to a crawl to start up, 20 minutes later when finally at desktop the CPU is running at 100%. The ONLY way to get it to desktop without problems is to put in a copy of Hirens boot disk and choose the first option which is "boot from hard drive". This goes right to desktop as if nothing is wrong, perfect CPU, everything in startup is on including services, NOT one problem!

HP Pavilion Media Center m8400f

- This computer originally came with Vista but had been upgraded to Win 7 ultimate with no issues.

- Has Trend titanium maximum security installed on it, seemed to be working fine also before issues started.

Friend claims they opened it up to vacuum it, did nothing wrong. Closed it up turned it on, had an error. They then panicked and shut it off (without writing down or taking a pic of error) turned it back on and it ran slow, claimed they ran "F9 diagnostics",  then brought it to me. Now I am trying to figure out what the hell happened. Here is what has been done.

As I stated you have to use Hirens boot disk to get to desktop to do anything, once there you can remove it and go about your business. If you restart it with the disk out it all goes to crap again.

1. Mem test passed

2. All disk checks came back fine

3. Tried running win 7 disk and "upgrading", took 3 days to finish and failed.

4. Maybe hard drive issue, so cloned drive onto the second drive that came installed, same problem.

5.Tried running win 7 disk and "upgrading", took 3 days to finish and failed.

6. Am now trying a clean install of windows which has been running 7 hours and is almost completed but I am sure it will be the same since it should not of taken this long to clean install it.

Runs fine when booted up with Hirens. Runs horrible if left to boot up 20 minutes on its own.

Please help, I am at my wits end and 8 days into this.

Edited by Vixis, 09 March 2014 - 09:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

With all due respect...I suggest that you take this system to a reliable computer shop .

A system where an O/S cannot be installed...and which dates to 2008...could have many contributors to problems, all of which would (obviously) be of hardware origin.

What is the source of your Win 7 Ultimate...on a system designed for Vista?  Do you have a valid license to install Win 7 Ultimate?

Louis

#3 Vixis

Vixis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:26 AM

With all due respect...I suggest that you take this system to a reliable computer shop .

A system where an O/S cannot be installed...and which dates to 2008...could have many contributors to problems, all of which would (obviously) be of hardware origin.

What is the source of your Win 7 Ultimate...on a system designed for Vista?  Do you have a valid license to install Win 7 Ultimate?

Louis

Thank you Louis for your suggestion, it is very much appreciated:)  And yes the Win disk is completely legal, they upgraded it themselves awhile back and it has never given a problem. So I did have the key for a clean reinstall when I attempted it.

I did edit my post on the top (I am new here so maybe that was the wrong way to update) to state resetting the bios was the problem the whole time. I always fix my own computers and I also am careful how I use them so they do not go down very often or at all. This was a friend who somehow figured his way into the bios and fiddled around. His explanation of "what it was doing" did not lead me to believe he got in there. I never checked them (dumb) thinking he'd never figure that out. What should have been the first step turned out to be the last and was the fix. Taking your computer in to be fixed can sometimes cost money people do not have. I feel it is best to attempt and learn than to just pay out money and never really know what happened. If it all came down to it then that would have been their decision to take it in. For now though this one is still in the race!

Edited by Vixis, 13 March 2014 - 09:51 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

FWIW:  Having to reset BIOS settings...is a common indicator that the CMOS battery needs to be replaced.

If you're happy...we're glad that you solved it.

Happy computing :).

Louis

#5 Vixis

Vixis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

Thanks for your time Louis on checking into this, it is much appreciated. I have passed the battery info along to them to keep an eye out for certain symptoms. Batteries are such an easy fix...as compared to some things as I am sure you know! Lol. 

Take care!!

#6 leehall

leehall

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:54 PM

Vixis, you are a godsend!!!  Thank you SOOOO much for your post and, especially, your update regarding the fix.  I feel your pain, although I have only been tormented by this problem for two days.  I am an IT professional with >20 years of experience and yet I just couldn't get my finger on the fix.  I was seriously contemplating tossing this motherboard.

I had done a rebuild with Win7 and all was well.  At some point I had noticed the clock was ~36 hours behind so I replaced the CMOS battery (also because the machine is 6 years old and will be needed for some years to come).  As per usual, the BIOS threw the standard "checksum error, reloading defaults" when I booted it - so it never occurred to me that the defaults had NOT been loaded.  As you experienced, it ran at a snails pace loading or running Windows - even from a Windows setup DVD.

F5 to load the defaults and F10 to save & exit - and all is well and good again.

Now if I could just figure out how to get the last two days of my life back. :grinner:

Thank you very, very much.

-- Lee

#7 Vixis

Vixis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:16 PM

Lee,

You have made my day! Just knowing someone found this crazy frustrating issue helpful is so awesome! I am glad it was only 2 days for you. We were bound and determined to not be defeated by that computer! In the future I will try the simple things more often, or maybe in the future I should just say NO when asked.......But I do enjoy a good challenge so I probably will accept and try it.

Thanks again for making my day awesome!

Vix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users