FIXED UPDATE!! Reset the bios and that fixed everything. Apparently "I didn't do anything except run F9 diagnostics" (said the culprit friend) meant they went in the bios and fiddled around but failed to mention it or they had no idea what they did. That'll teach me not to trust that statement...
Slow to a crawl to start up, 20 minutes later when finally at desktop the CPU is running at 100%. The ONLY way to get it to desktop without problems is to put in a copy of Hirens boot disk and choose the first option which is "boot from hard drive". This goes right to desktop as if nothing is wrong, perfect CPU, everything in startup is on including services, NOT one problem!
HP Pavilion Media Center m8400f
- This computer originally came with Vista but had been upgraded to Win 7 ultimate with no issues.
- Has Trend titanium maximum security installed on it, seemed to be working fine also before issues started.
Friend claims they opened it up to vacuum it, did nothing wrong. Closed it up turned it on, had an error. They then panicked and shut it off (without writing down or taking a pic of error) turned it back on and it ran slow, claimed they ran "F9 diagnostics", then brought it to me. Now I am trying to figure out what the hell happened. Here is what has been done.
As I stated you have to use Hirens boot disk to get to desktop to do anything, once there you can remove it and go about your business. If you restart it with the disk out it all goes to crap again.
1. Mem test passed
2. All disk checks came back fine
3. Tried running win 7 disk and "upgrading", took 3 days to finish and failed.
4. Maybe hard drive issue, so cloned drive onto the second drive that came installed, same problem.
5.Tried running win 7 disk and "upgrading", took 3 days to finish and failed.
6. Am now trying a clean install of windows which has been running 7 hours and is almost completed but I am sure it will be the same since it should not of taken this long to clean install it.
Runs fine when booted up with Hirens. Runs horrible if left to boot up 20 minutes on its own.
Please help, I am at my wits end and 8 days into this.
Edited by Vixis, 09 March 2014 - 09:40 PM.