Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with clean install with SSD

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 vanmol

vanmol

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:28 PM

hi---Doing a clean install of Windows. Will install OS on the SSD and then setup 2HHD in Raid0 for all other stuff. Not sure what changes I have to make in the BIOS or if Win 7 needs any other drivers for the Raid0 configuration. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:30 PM

This tutorial should guide you through everything you need to know about RAID

http://www.pcworld.com/article/132877/RAID.html

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#3 vanmol

vanmol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

thanks --acerts04----Looks like a very detailed article and I'm sure it will do the trick.

#4 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:14 AM

Youre welcome!

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

I don't think you need raid0,just install windows on the ssd ,and install the other drive as slave and use it for other stuff, what you are wanting to do is not called Raid

RAID 0 (Striping): This setup increases hard-drive performance by splitting, or striping, data across two drives. By leveraging two data busses, data can be read and written more quickly. Unfortunately, RAID 0 provides no data protection--in fact, it actually increases the chances of data loss since the failure of either drive in the array results in the loss of the data stored on both drives.

Edited by caperjac, 10 March 2014 - 12:52 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#6 vanmol

vanmol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:02 PM

I just thought that setting up 2hhd in raid0 would be much faster.

#7 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:44 PM

You will see a performance boost by using RAID 0 most likely in transfer speeds and in gaming some load times. Casual use it may or may not be noticeable, but it depends. If its what you would like to do, then by all means do it and see how you like it and if you notice a difference or not. The article i posted should give you all the info you need to get you up and running as well as getting educated about raid!

Good luck

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:42 PM

Will install OS on the SSD and then setup 2HHD in Raid0 for all other stuff

my understanding  of raid could be wrong ,but what you say above is not Raid0 or any form of Raid setup

,I guess I was wrong to myself all this time .its not the second drive you setup in raid ,its both drivers ,therefor you don't need raid ,just simple first drive boot to windows and other as a slave storage drive

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:40 AM

Setting up a RAID for nothing but storage purposes...with the O/S on a different hard drive...is not something that I've ever seen anyone want to do.

If you intall Windows and programs on your SSD...IMO, that seems likely to prove the best arrangement.

Louis

#10 vanmol

vanmol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:11 PM

I would appear that I have a misunderstanding of the benefits of Raid0 in my cercumstance. I will still install OS to the SSD, while looking at other raid options or no raid at all. Thank you all for your time and effort.   Frank

#11 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

just read a good piece of info regarding raid ,

it says  to set raid in bios before installing windows ,even if you don't plan on using raid ,it will make it easier to setup raid later with out having to reinstall windows .intel calls it raid ready

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users