Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Not powering up 100%

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Scottronic

Scottronic

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:23 PM

Hi all,

I have an older Gateway 507 GR that has ran like a champ and I have used as my DAW for years!

I went to plug in my iphone 5 into the USB port and suddenly it would not power on. At least not 100%.
It sounded like an old car that had a dying battery, it would rev but never turn over. The power on button blinking blue as well.
I did my research about psu's and troubleshooting and can't figure it out.

I open the machine unplugged all of the components, ram, pci soundcard, and got the same result.
But when I unplugged a 4-pin connector that came from this power supply to the motherboard it powered on perfectly but still have no signal from the monitor? There's also a 20-something pin connector attached to the mobo as well...

Please help! This machine got me nominated for a Grammy! I know it's ancient but it does the job!
Thank you for any response. I'm still a poor musician! Lol
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:53 AM

You need that 4 pin power to the main board for the board to operate correctly. If it does not work with that 4 pin plugged in, you might try a different power supply. There are many things that can cause a post fault. Is there a speaker plugged into the main board? Does it give any beep code? Remove all non essential components: PCI cards, add in video, etc (if you have onboard video use this).You may have a bad stick of ram or bad slot. If there are no beep codes and the computer is powering on, I would recommend trying 1 stick of ram in 1 slot at a time. Move the stick to each slot on the main board. If you still have nothing, try a different stick in all of the slots.

You should try with both the 4 pin and 20/24pin power plugged into the main board. You do not need anything else connected power related for the computer to post.

Also some things to look for while you are looking in the case are bulging or blown capacitors examples here: https://www.google.com/search?q=motherboard+bulging+blown+capacitors&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=6sMdU4OYNMuJqQH40YD4BQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=855&bih=461

If you have any blown or bulging capacitors I recommend replacing the computer, they often cause intermittent problems and eventually lead to complete failure.

Edited by zingo156, 10 March 2014 - 08:56 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Scottronic

Scottronic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

Hey Zingo,

Thanks for the help. I tried everything you mentioned and no luck.

Caps look good , no swelling or bursting.

Took my Emu 1212M sound card (which is 2 cards btw) out of the expansion slot

Removed ram, put ram back in 1 at a time, different slot each time.

Same deal.

No beeps. It will rev up and the led behind the power button will flash  if I hold the power button but if I let go it just dies.

And, the green led on the back from the psu is solid green.

I can order a new psu for about $50 but how do I know it's not the motherboard.

Thanks again!

Edited by Scottronic, 10 March 2014 - 04:58 PM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:36 AM

Unfortunately if you can not get it to power on and the bios does not report any beep codes, it is down to replacing parts one at a time. Power supplies are some of the most common failure points in computers, I would say about equal with hard drives in the retail world. The PSU would be the first thing I would try. With the age of the machine it is hard to recommend throwing money at it though. You might be able to get a used power supply from a local tech shop, they might let you return it if it does not fix the issue.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users