Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Floppy diskette seek failure

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jessica.mills99

jessica.mills99

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:01 PM

Ok, I am trying to get all my files and stuff off my win xp comp and then I was going to upgrade it to 7... I have run harddrive diagnostics and my drives pass but when I boot into win, win explorer does not see my harddrives... very flustered

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:52 PM

Try Start > Programs > Accessories > Windows Explorer > click on the + beside My Computer.

What do you see ??

#3 jessica.mills99

jessica.mills99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:59 PM

When I click on it, the computer just sits.  At that point I wait for a while and then end task from task manager and reboot.  if I reboot in safe mode with minimal drivers and services I can see.....  OH NO, just rebooted in safe mode and it made it past logon screen, but now it is black screen....................... eeeeeeek I have my ext backup drive still attached, should I pull it off?????

#4 jessica.mills99

jessica.mills99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:01 PM

since I have that backup, if all else fails can I just clean off the drives and start new with new OS or will this just happen again???

#5 Ant.Man

Ant.Man

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:08 PM

trying to get all my files and stuff off my win xp comp

You may be describing a failure to "get all my files" in a safe manner.

and then ... upgrade it to 7.

Windows 7 is capable of detecting an existing XP install and create a dual boot configuration.  You will have an XP PC and a Win7 PC in the same box.  If you want to use this feature, STOP.

Otherwise:

• If you have your XP data files backed up
  • If you have your Windows 7 setup media
  • If you can boot from your setup media

Then boot into the Windows 7 setup.  When you get to the screen that asks where to install, you can examine the disk for any mfgr provided recovery partitions.  You may wish to seek additional guidance when you get to this screen.

image15_thumb.png

I would recommend deleting all existing partitions.  Create a single partition using all available space.  Setup will inform you that it will create a small recovery partition.

Edited by Ant.Man, 10 March 2014 - 12:17 AM.

This is not my signature.

#6 Ant.Man

Ant.Man

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:11 PM

Please explain why you titled this thread "Floppy diskette seek failure"

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:08 AM

Ant Man makes a good point, I don't see anything in reference to floppies either. 

Does anyone still use those? Asking because last year I installed a RC-212 (Rosewill) SATA RAID card in a relative's PC so that she could run a SATA HDD, not for the RAID. When it came time for the drivers, there was a floppy included that was supposed to contain the drivers, but the installed floppy drive read it was blank. It was the 1st & only time I attempted to run a floppy, 

Had to download & extract the needed components to use nLite to slipstream the SATA drivers into her install CD (XP Pro). 

I seldom hear Windows 7 & "floppy diskette" in the same sentence any longer. Please provide more details so that we can understand. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 jessica.mills99

jessica.mills99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:18 AM

So sorry about the title confusion!  The floppy diskette error I got was during drive diagnostics that I ran during startup.  (A little history is that the XP computer that I am having issues with was my dads before he passed, so the files are priceless! In the past, my go to answer was, if it is broke, buy a new one).... So after reading yalls posts I think I have decided that I will just do a clean install of 7... at least I will try unless it is not the best choice. I will try to post the details about the drives that I can find... just basic info is that the computer is a DELL XPS 400 Pentium D, mem info: 4GB... Boot sequence shows sata and ide onboard hard drives are not present, then the next is intel array....  Next screen about drives: Drive 0: controller is serial ATA capacity is 500 GB and it is controlled by the RAID BIOS... then nothing listed in the drive 2 spot and drive 3 shows serial ATA 500GB and drive 5 is pata 1 parallel ATA IDE slave.... Does this info have any impact on the issue that win explorer does not see drives

#9 Ant.Man

Ant.Man

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:46 AM

Does this info have any impact on the issue that win explorer does not see drives

Yes.

the files are priceless! ... I have decided that I will just do a clean install of 7

VERY important - Confirm your files are copied/backed up/archived.  Clean install will wipe the drive.  Playing with broken RAID volumes can lose all data.

Boot sequence shows sata and ide onboard hard drives are not present, then the next is intel array....  Next screen about drives: Drive 0: controller is serial ATA capacity is 500 GB and it is controlled by the RAID BIOS... then nothing listed in the drive 2 spot and drive 3 shows serial ATA 500GB

This could be a failed drive or an error in BIOS settings (cause not determined).  Drives assigned to the RAID controller will behave differently in BIOS and POST.

Please confirm the total number of physical hard drives.

Confirm they are connected to the motherboard and power.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users