Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 > 8.1

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:03 PM

Here we are almost five months later and this same issue is confounding I dunno how many thousands of folks as evidenced all over the Internet. I have a Acer Aspire V5. Updated BIOS succesfully at Acer site, got al Windows updates including optional ones, turned off antivirus...I have spent hours and hours on this. It gets as far as downloading, analyzing, updating, gathering info, and then "we're installing Windows 8.1 We'll let you know when we're done". Then much later, "This app wasn't installed. Something happened..." Very useful information - not! What is the friggin deal with this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:35 PM

One question comes to mind, and that is do you have enough disk space to install the update?

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:39 PM

Never liked Os Upgrades I prefer a clean install myself. I have done about 10 "upgrades" and can only remember 1 or 3 times when there wasn't an issue of some sort.

Question do you really need to upgrade from 8 to 8.1 remember the saying If it aint broke don't fix it.

Edited by NickAu1, 09 March 2014 - 06:41 PM.

#4 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:25 PM

I just spent over seven hours doing a clean install, got all updates again, and "something happened".

#5 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:51 AM

I had this problem a couple of years ago when trying to install XP SP3.  Exactly the same symptoms and uninformative message.  In my case, the problem was due to some issue with my laptop's processor (AMD).  Perhaps your issue is similar?   

#6 OpenGL

OpenGL

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:11 AM

this is big bug in some Acer units, I know I am a dealer, just download the free version of IOBIT advance system 7, and use the updater inside it to force the updates, it will patch the windows store.  

You may also have a bad driver, so use the iobit driver updater, free version and keep patching the unit as will. reboot a few times and IOBIT advance system 7 again and again.

after the third time, the windows update problem will be gone and the store will update to windows 8.1 correctly... if it still doesn't work refresh the unit. and do the above and it should work. make sure you take out MCAfee its really buggy after a fresh and will crash right away, 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users