Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dumb things to do

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 smink

smink

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:28 PM

I have a toshiba laptop with vista hm prem with some type of malware that keeps me from booting up. I was able to get into the bios and added a password to enter the boot directory. I tried the default and it not change this. Does any know how to undo this? My goal is to run the factory restore and wipe everything. But I cannot seem to get past the log in password that was changed by the malware.

Edited by hamluis, 09 March 2014 - 05:17 PM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:14 PM

Hi smink,

My goal is to run the factory restore and wipe everything. But I cannot seem to get past the log in password that was changed by the malware.

If your goal is to restore the laptop back to factory settings, I know of a few possible ways that this can be achieved.

1.) You should be able to access the hidden recovery partition by tapping the "0" (zero) key at boot. Since you have now created a BIOS password, you may be asked to enter that password to proceed further into the process of accessing that recovery partition.

2.) You may also be able to access the  Advanced Boot Options  menu >  Repair your computer > System Recovery Options (also referred to as Windows Recovery Environment) > System Image Recovery by tapping the F8 key at boot, if that option is installed. There again, you may have to input the BIOS password to proceed.

3.) Toshiba laptops don't have a recovery disc supplied with the laptop. Instead, Toshiba provides a hidden partition on the hard drive which contains the same files as a recovery CD/DVD would. Did you happen to create those discs and have them available? If your laptop was purchased prior to 2007, this option may not be available to you, though you should have received the recovery discs if purchased prior to 2007.

4.) The Toshiba Support phone number that I have to purchase the discs is as follows > 1-800-457-7777. If the number is no longer in good, you can contact Toshiba Support and request those discs from here. The cost is around $20 USD's and should include shipping costs.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns do not hesitate to ask.

Donna :)

animinionsmalltext.gif

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

A cat named ugly

#3 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:31 AM

Hi smink,

Are you still in need of help to resolve your problem?

Please let me know either way.

Thank you,

Donna :)

animinionsmalltext.gif

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

A cat named ugly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users