Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 quirks?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:38 PM

I have what are probably stupid questions about a few items:

1. I have international correspondence via E-mail in several languages, for which I need an assortment of special characters I am accustomed to finding via the Character Map function.  In Win XP on my old desktop I find all the necessary characters - various European languages, Greek, Arabic, Hebrew, etc.  On my Win 8 laptop none of those appear in the Character Map which in all its various fonts seems to display only the basic ASCII character set.  Is this because on the new Win 8 machine I have not yet installed any fonts?  On the old XP machine I have a vast collection of fonts accumulated over the years - mostly when MSIE has told me I need some other font/character set to display a given Web site correctly, and I then download the font/character set in question.  Of course the new machine does not have any of that history.  So does the availability of fonts/charsets in Character Map depend on fonts/charsets installed on the particular machine?  If not, the Win 8 version is sadly deficient!

2. What about the limitation on how many applications can be open at once?  Is that general, or does it apply only to the Metro interface?  I mostly use the desktop (enhanced by the Classic Shell) and often have several windows open at once.  So far I've not really put it to the test, but for instance on my XP machine I have MSIE set to open four tabs at once, and will probably have Chrome set the same way on the Win 8 laptop.  Am I going to have a problem there?

3. In our office setup there are a few laptops (one Win XP, due to be phased out, and a couple Win 8) and one desktop (currently Win XP, but that's about to change).  Am I going to run into file incompatibilities between the new ReFS and the NTFS file system format?  At present we use sneakernet to move data files from one to another; but the whole office is wireless-networked so we should be able to move files over the network.  Files in question would mostly be E-mail messages, MS Word documents, spreadsheets and photographs.

Thanks for enlightenment,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:12 PM

Ack, now I feel stupid.  Tried the character map again and if one chooses a reasonable mainstream font the list of characters is very fully populated.  I didn't look for Chinese or Japanese or Korean or Mongol or Tibetan (don't speak them, anyway) but Hebrew, Arabic, Greek, Cyrillics in many variants, Norse languages, French, German etc. were all there.  Also a lot of stuff only a professional linguist would be likely to use.  Some of the more exotic fonts don't have all those characters, but in E-mail I pretty much stick to plain text so that's not a problem.

Nearly all those characters require Unicode, but that has worked well enough for me so far - at least, none of the recipients of my E-mails has complained yet, and I've been doing this for years.

Also I tried playing with multiple windows and had no trouble having 5 different applications open in 5 different windows.  After that the screen gets a bit crowded (that was a 15.6" laptop, after all) so I didn't pursue it further.  Let's see, I had open all at the same time the calculator, the character map, MS Word 365, IrfanView and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.  Didn't have any browsers open because our Internet connection was down at the time.  Realistically I would be likely to have open all at the same time a Word document, Chrome (for Google lookups), the calculator, the character map, IrfanView or Photoshop, and the File Explorer.  Maybe also the E-mail client, or a HTML editor and FTP client.  Not on the office laptop (15.6") though, on the home desktop with a much bigger screen and maybe even (one day) a second monitor.

Near as I can tell so far, both my new Win 8 laptops are using NTFS.

Of course at the back of my mind is the question whether the Win 8 machines will be upgradable to Win 9 when that appears?  Including the file system?  and backwards compatibility????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users