Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD for no apparent reason

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pokopo708

pokopo708

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:42 PM

Hello,

First off, I'd like to say that it's my first post on Bleeping Computer, and I've always loved this website, but never posted on it.

Okay, getting to the point. Today, I turned on my school laptop, opened Chrome, clicked on a bookmark in my bookmarks bar, and the computer crashed and gave me a BSOD. I'm not sure as to why it happened, but it's not the first time. Let me just say that our school computers have incredibly crappy hardware, and a lot of people I know have lost their data due to similar crashes (everyone has the same laptop.) Every other time my computer gave me a BSOD, it would restart after a while. Except this time, the BSOD is stuck and will not go away. It's stuck at the line of text saying "Initializing disk for crash dump..."The "busy" cursor is on the screen. The "Technical information:" part says "*** STOP: 0x0000007A (0x0000000000000020, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009D, 0xFFFFFA8003E14078, 0x0000000000000000)". The top part of the BSOD says "KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR" The machine is a Lenovo ThinkPad X130e, running Windows 7 Home Premium. I have had the computer since 6 September 2012. I'm still hesitating as to whether I should perform a cold shut down, but I think I'll have to. I really need my computer by tomorrow (Eastern Time Zone), because we'll be using it, so I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:58 PM

Hello! And welcome, please follow this guide to start

Upload the actual crash dump files.

You will find the crash dump files inside C:\Windows\Minidump folder. To copy the dumps, disable "User Account Control" first. Otherwise you may receive a permission error. After disabling UAC, copy and zip all the dumps using 7-zip ( http://www.7-zip.org ). Either attach the zip with next reply using "More reply options --> Attach files" or use a free file hosting site.

For example -> http://www.mediafire.com/

Publish a snapshot of your system using Speccy.

"Speccy" is a free tool which can list the hardware specs, temperature status, installed Windows updates, HDD SMART info etc of your system. Please read the below tutorial to know how to use "Speccy" to collect system info.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

Don't paste the output displayed by "Speccy" here. Instead paste the web link it displays.

Minitoolbox log.

"Minitoolbox" can list all the installed programs as well as event log errors in your system. Download "Minitoolbox" from the below link.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/

Run the tool and only select the following tick boxes.

List last 10 Event viewer errors
List installed program
List users, partition and memory size
List Minidumps

Now click "Go" and post the output displayed in next reply.

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

Publish a snapshot of your system using Speccy.

"Speccy" is a free tool which can list the hardware specs, temperature status, installed Windows updates, HDD SMART info etc of your system. Please read the below tutorial to know how to use "Speccy" to collect system info.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

Don't paste the output displayed by "Speccy" here. Instead paste the web link it displays.

The instructions will ask you if you want to Proceed with Publish?  You press Yes.

The next options are "Open in Browser" or "Copy to Clipboard", you will choose to copy to the clipboard.  You should click on Close after this.

With the snapshot being in the clidpboard all you need to do is to click on an empty space in your post and right click, this will place a  hyperlink which will open the snapshot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 pokopo708

pokopo708
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

I have to tell you two things before you look at the attached files. One: my computer is in French (do not hesitate to ask for any translations.) Two: Most of the programs on the machine were preinstalled.

Here are the dumps:

Attached File  dumps.zip   61.16KB   1 downloads

Here is a .txt file containing the Minitoolbox log:

Attached File  Result.txt   20.11KB   2 downloads

I was not able to publish my Speccy results (There was an error saying "Error connecting to publishing server.") So, here is a .txt file instead:

Attached File  ETUD-LRF35T6.txt   255.64KB   2 downloads

Thanks in advance (again!)

#5 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:22 PM

hi,although i do not think we were able to get your most recent dump file, the other three dump files you had pointed to bcmwl664.sys. So please update your broadcom wireless network adapter it seems to be causing a bsod

*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck D1, {0, 2, 0, fffff880040908c6}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for bcmwl664.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for bcmwl664.sys
Probably caused by : bcmwl664.sys ( bcmwl664+298c6 )

the timestamp sees to be a bit old from 2012

tart             end                 module name
fffff880`04067000 fffff880`044f1000   bcmwl664 T (no symbols)           
    Loaded symbol image file: bcmwl664.sys
    Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\bcmwl664.sys
    Image name: bcmwl664.sys
    Timestamp:        Tue Apr 17 08:27:30 2012 (4F8D61B2)
    CheckSum:         004930C0
    ImageSize:        0048A000
    Translations:     0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4

let me know if that helps with your crashing

also your memory usage is very high at 96% please right click on your task bar to open up task manager and see what processes are taking up your memory. adding another gig of memory would be helpful. your crash may be due to faulty memory also.

Percentage of memory in use: 96%
Total physical RAM: 1638.67 MB
Available physical RAM: 65.41 MB
Total Pagefile: 3277.34 MB
Available Pagefile: 622.21 MB
Total Virtual: 4095.88 MB
Available Virtual: 3968.98 MB

since your bccode could mean many things, if updating the broadcom driver does not help please open an elevated cmd prompt. click start type 'cmd' then right click to run as administrator then type chkdsk /r

i also saw that your anti virus is disabled, you should enable that as you are unprotected

Edited by acerts04, 09 March 2014 - 10:17 PM.

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users