Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Longtime Silicon Valley Lady Geek

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MakeItBetter

MakeItBetter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

Hoping to help and get help!

I've cleaned up hacked websites for folks...now delving into the world of pcs...

I just refreshed one PC -- Win8 Toshiba ...for the nth time.  If this computer were a car, it would be labeled a lemon ... too bad there aren't lemon laws for computers!

After seeing it was 2 hours off, I changed the time and then shut it down for at least 2 hours...concerned that having items created "earlier" than pre-existing file time/date stamps could be problematic...

Hope to qualify for the training program some day! :)

Cheers

Jann

Moderator edit at users request.

Edited by rotor123, 13 March 2014 - 06:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:35 PM

Hi, :welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

If You are sure the Toshiba is a lemon try for warranty. It could be the user catching things to unless it is Your computer.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 MakeItBetter

MakeItBetter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:09 PM

It could be the user catching things to unless it is Your computer.

Not sure I understand what you are saying ?

I've had this machine for 14 months... and a tale of woe to match.

Incidentally, on another machine I have, I've used speedfan, although one or another AV complained about it.

Edited by MakeItBetter, 09 March 2014 - 05:12 PM.

#4 MakeItBetter

MakeItBetter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:19 PM

It's interesting to me that this product is shown under the "uninstall" programs...

VideoLan's VLC ...  under "most recently viewed"...

I'm sorry I have to click thru to each entry to find the conclusion ... is there a way

a summary could be seen which shows at a glance which are necessary, which are not ?

Thanks!

Judy

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:32 PM

Let me try to clarify. I was thinking You might be fixing it for someone rather that it being Your own computer. I have seen in the past computer owners where You reload from scratch or fix what they messed up and they go do the same thing again and bring it back.

You are much more patient than I would have been, I would have been on the phone to tech support after the second refresh. When You refresh are You using the windows refresh that leaves Your data intact? As in this link? How to reinstall Windows 8 while keeping your data using Refresh your PC

If So I suggest backing up any data You want to keep and move on to the next step which is,

How to perform a clean install of Windows 8 using Reset your PC

This new feature will allow you to erase your data by overwriting it numerous times with random patterns that make it very hard to recover any information off of your hard drive. Once the data is removed, it will format your hard drive and install Windows 8 onto it. When the process is finished, you will be left with a computer that is set to how it was when Windows was first installed.

I would choose the secure overwriting option.

I used both those Windows 8 features on this Lenovo when it was new, testing the features since I had not really used windows 8 prior. They both worked as advertised.

If this does not help please let me know.

Also I use this one on this computer and love it. How to add a Start Menu to Windows 8 using Classic Shell

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 MakeItBetter

MakeItBetter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:28 PM

Hi Roger!!!

Thanks for your thoughtful response...

...yeah, I have done a reset.  I'd have to go back and look at my notes to see what I did subsequent to that.

Don't really trust warrantee repair. 

I'm not all that patient...just a ton of extenuating circumstances...

As far nulling out the harddrive using secure deletes...really, the recommendation is, if you care about the data, go trash the hard drive ... with a hammer...

When I first had problems, I did talk with warranty repair (within a month or two of purchase)...who recommended reset if i continued to have problems...then I went thru 2 external hard drives trying to back things up.  One was dead out of the box and was returned.  The other died between swaps between 2 computers of nearly identical make.

(I'm leaving out the story of the OTHER computer...sigh.)

Subsequently, I have purchased an external hard drive and backed up...and subsequent to that, done a reset.

When the computer works...it's awesome and I'm happy.  And then something happens, and it dies.  I've been attempting various theories over time...ever hopeful that the last change will be a permanent fix.

If these are hardware problems...they occur inconsistently...(so, additionally why I don't think warranty repair will help...but who knows...give me a few more months...)

If these are virus problems...well, I'm pretty conservative...not a gamer, I don't visit torrents...and I don't click on unexpected links.  (In fact, I did user-testing at PayPal at one point where they had to instruct me to click a link in the email, because I don't generally do that.)

...thanks for the link to classic shell...after some 15 months off and on with windows8, I've figured out how to get it to behave how I'd like (the desktop "toolbar" on the taskbar is a nice stand in for the old start menu...and works more quickly...)

Thanks very much for your help and attention!

Anyway...forward!

Edited by MakeItBetter, 12 March 2014 - 09:39 PM.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:34 PM

Hi Roger!!!
...yeah, I have done a reset.  I'd have to go back and look at my notes to see what I did subsequent to that.

As far nulling out the harddrive using secure deletes...really, the recommendation is, if you care about the data, go trash the hard drive ... with a hammer...

The reason for the recommendation to use the secure delete option during the reset was not because I care about the data as You have it backed up. The reason was so that if there were any Viruses in that part of the hard drive they should be gone, Hopefully.

Don't really trust warrantee repair.

That is a difference I used to work for an "Authorized Service Provider" AKA ASP for Two Computer brands. We were a independent repair shop that did that work too. You would bring in Your All-In-One or laptop or desktop or server and we would diagnose the problem. Order the repair parts and they would be in the next day, excluding Saturday and Sunday of course. So that if the laptop came in at 11Am, I could diagnose the problem, order the parts and the next day there they were.

When I first had problems, I did talk with warranty repair (within a month or two of purchase)...who recommended reset if i continued to have problems...then I went thru 2 external hard drives trying to back things up.  One was dead out of the box and was returned.  The other died between swaps between 2 computers of nearly identical make.

Do You still have Your case number? What I would try next is just in case there is a hidden virus that infected the recovery partition.

It is not free unless You can convince Tech Support to send them. What I would do is get a set of Recovery DVDs from Toshiba. If i could not get them to send them for free I would spend the money. Then I would secure wipe the hard drive using something Like Dariks Boot and Nuke (DBAN) and reload from scratch using the recovery DVDs and see what happens.

There is also a very slight possibility that it is a hard drive problem corrupting things.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users