Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB wi-fi stick not recognised!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bradner

Bradner

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

Hello guys. My problem is sometimes when i turn on my pc the usb wifi stick is not recognised and i have to unplug and plug again the usb! The usb stick is netgear n300. What could cause this problem? Thank you! 
After re-plug in everything is okay! The problem is at startup!

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

These Netgear wi-fi dongles are sensitive to the way they are installed. It might well be worth your time to uninstall the drivers and re-install them. There should be an uninstaller included with the drivers - click 'Start - All programs - Netgear - Uninstall'. When you are re-installing them. load the driver software BEFORE you connect the dongle. During the install process, it will tell you when to insert it into the USB socket you want to use.

If you don't have the CD that came with the dongle, or never had one, you can obtain the drivers direct from 'Support' on the Netgear web-site. Do this BEFORE you uninstall the drivers !

Other possibilities are that the socket you are using is faulty - try it in a different one; and the service for Netgear may not be starting at start-up. To check this,click Start, then RIGHT click on Computer and select 'Manage' from the pop up that appears. In the left hand column of the box that appears you will see, at the bottom, 'Services and Applications'. Expand this, then click on 'Services' and you will see a list of all the services on your computer. Look for one that matches your dongle, on my computer it is listed as WSWNA1100, and check that it is set to start automatically. Change the start up type to Automatic if that is not what it shows.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Bradner

Bradner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:08 AM

Thank you very much. I ll try them and report back! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users