Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thinking about overclocking my GTX 660, any tips appreciated!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:37 AM

Hey guys, it's me again, my EVGA GTX 660 is no longer under warranty so i tought i could try and get more power out of it, i found a tutorial on modding it's bios to remove the firmware limitation of fan speeds and  power levels (The GTX 660 firmware doesn't really want you overclocking)

But now, here i am, i never overclocked anything, and i tought it'd be a nice start.

Anyways, modding it's firmware should increase my voltage to 1.212 V on the video card (when on stress), allowing some overclocking.

Now, the real question is how should i increase it's core speeds, should i just get Afterburner or EVGA precision?

I read on the tutorial about modding the "Bios" that i should only increase the core speed 13 mhz at a time. Is that right?

Here, i only really care about perfomance, power usage is not really an issue for me, and fan noise while it can be a tad annoying, i can stand as long as it scales with the amount of power given out

Will i find a hefty increase in perfomance? (as in 10fps or more) or will it just be an increase of 4fps that is totally worthless and counter productive?

Anyways, i'm not doing anything to it until i feel confident about what i should be doing with it.

Any tip/toughts? 

I'm running a 650W PSU, you can find about anything else on my profile.

EDIT: Forgot to note, i'm using stock coolers for everything. I'm also planning on trying to get some dust out of the video card before overclocking it (Never cleaned it's inside, not sure it's even possible)

Edited by Datcoolguy, 09 March 2014 - 10:39 AM.

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users