Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can only see 2/3 of screen once windows has loaded

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bellicia

Bellicia

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:11 AM

I've logged onto my computer today and once I get past the initial boot up screens and into windows I can only see 2/3 of the page with the screen having been moved to the left. It's not a problem with the monitor because the image is fine up to and including the starting windows page. After that I have this issue. I can't access my start menu but can get into the control panel through the desktop right click function.

I'm running windows 7 home edition.

I've tried restarting the computer and have checked all cable connections. I can click on the wall paper and access anything from there so I've managed to create a new folder so can get onto Firefox. I've run a virus scan with avg and it found no threats. I've tried to restart in safe mode using f8 but it didn't go into safe mode just booted up as normal. I've run a system restore but it's still the same.

I've no idea what the problem is and could do with some help.
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:39 AM

Can you supply the make and model of the computer, please?

#3 Bellicia

Bellicia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

Sorry, that would be useful wouldn't it?!

ASUS desktop PC CM6730 series
(ASUSTeK Computer Inc.)

Do you need to know anything else?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:31 PM

If you are using a VGA port and not a DVI port to connect to the monitor, see if you have an auto adjust setting in you LCD monitor settings.

Edit: This probably will not work as you stated everything is fine at boot.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 March 2014 - 12:35 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

Can you take a screen shot and post it here?

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot. 

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you made with the, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Bellicia

Bellicia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:58 PM

I took some photos on my ipad earlier which might be useful.  I tried taking a screenshot just now and it gave me the whole window, not just the 2/3 I can see, although I didn't download the program you linked to.

The four photos show the boot up process, I've just noticed that the first one isn't fully in the correct place as some of the words are cut off, it's just not as far to the left as the last two once everything is loaded.

Attached Files

Edited by Bellicia, 09 March 2014 - 12:59 PM.

#7 Bellicia

Bellicia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:04 PM

John I'd totally missed your post just now.  Had another fiddle around with my monitor settings and have found a wonderful "factory reset" option which seems to have fixed everything!  Thanks everyone, Sorry to be a pain and waste your time!

(I wonder what caused the problem though... I know I didn't mess with the settings yesterday... and moving the image horizontal didn't help before!)

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

Glad it worked out and thanks fot the feedback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users