Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"The mobile broadband service isn't being executed."

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 DeLuk

DeLuk

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:32 AM

Greetings to the forum. :)

I'm having a bit of a trouble trying to solve a network problem in my brother's laptop. It's a Toshiba Satellite L500 running Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bits.

To make a long story short:

He uses a mobile broadband connect pen, Huawei E392, which has previously always worked flawlessly in this laptop, however, now, a couple of software installs, uninstalls and reinstalls, both for this connect pen and another one, in case Huawei E220, the two of which run on different software versions, plus a couple of system restores back and forth tried in the attempt to sort things out, the fact is that this connect pen, E392, the one that was last installed, it now no longer establishes connection to the internet.

In the Network and Sharing Center, it just stays as "Unidentified Network". If I run Windows Network Diagnostics, it comes up with the following: "The mobile broadband service isn't being executed.". And if I choose "Try to apply this correction as admin.", it every time just ends up saying "Not corrected.".

I've tested the pen in another computer, and it works ok there, so I'm assuming the problem's not there. Also, asking the ISP about it, they say they also don't detect any problem when testing it remotely.

Checking the IPv4 protocol properties for the connection, go figure why, it is wrongly set to use specific IP and DNS addresses, with the fields being empty. If changing both those settings to get the addresses automatically, then it does connect to the internet. However, it still stays as "Unidentified Network", and more, the network icon in the task bar just keeps the same red cross over it as if there was no connection to the internet, even though there is. Also, if now again running Windows Network Diagnostics, it does still return the same message, "The mobile broadband service isn't being executed.", although, if now choosing "Try to apply this correction as admin.", it does now result in "Corrected.". However, if running Windows Network Diagnostics again, it just says again "The mobile broadband service isn't being executed.".

Checking the settings in that other computer where I've tested the pen, it is set to get the IP and DNS addresses automatically, and also the ISP has confirmed that those are the settings by default and which should be set upon installation of the pen's software. However, for some reason, those settings are failing to be set in this laptop. Furthermore, and again go figure why, they're even failing to be "saved/stored", since, as I was saying above, if I change those settings manually to get the addresses automatically, ok the connection to the internet is established, but then, after removing the pen, the next time it is plugged back on, the settings are simply lost, and it just gets set back to use specific IP and DNS addresses, with the fields being empty. And yes, running Windows Network Diagnostics, the resulting message is the same as everytime: "The mobile broadband service isn't being executed.".

I'm at a loss. Any idea why things are acting up this way, and especially, what causes such message to be returned again and again by Windows Network Diagnostics, that "The mobile broadband service isn't being executed."? What does such message mean? I can't seem to find any info on the issue googling for it?

If anyone can give a hand at trying to sort this out, any hint, anything, I'd be most appreciated.

Thank you greatly in advance for your time and possible help. :)

P.S. The laptop has been scanned for malware (Avast AV + MBAM + SAS + TDSS Killer) and no threat was found.

Edit: Typo.

Edited by DeLuk, 09 March 2014 - 07:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:06 AM

type...

ipconfig /flushdns

from the elevated command prompt

then hit enter.

Does the problem persist?

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

So the gist of all of that is, the settings won't stay on Obtain IP address Automatically by default and therefore won't connect if you unplug and plug it back in?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 DeLuk

DeLuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:06 PM

Hello, TsVk! and CaveDweller2, and thank you for the quick replies. :)

@ TsVk!: Yes, been there already. In fact, I've gone through the whole set of commands as per the instructions here. And yes, the problem persisted and persists. Curiously and coincidentally, though, that one command, of the whole set, ipconfig /flushdns, didn't and doesn't execute successfully, each time returning the same error: "It was not possible to flush the DNS resolver cache: The function failed during execution.", I wonder why?...

@ CaveDweller2: Yes, that's exactly it. That, and Windows Network Diagnostics reporting every time that "The mobile broadband service isn't being executed.", which I woder about too?...

Any ideas?...

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:30 PM

Sounds like your DNS service may not be set to automatic start...

press windows key + r

type 'services.msc' and then hit enter

scroll down to the 'DNS Client' service

set to automatic, apply and then restart.

restart the machine.

try flushing the DNS cache again...

any joy?

#6 DeLuk

DeLuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:24 AM

Thanks again, TsVk!.

Indeed, the DNS Client service wasn't set to automatic start on this machine (since MVPS HOSTS is used in it and accordingly it is recommended that the DNS Client service is better turned off to prevent eventual slowdowns).

So I did as you suggested, set the DNS Client service to automatic start and upon reboot so I flushed the DNS cache again. The command did now execute successfully. Yet, still no joy.

I even repeated that whole set of commands as mentioned above, but nope, no joy whatsoever.

For some reason the IPv4 settings keep "resetting" everytime and just won't stay on "obtain address automatically" neither for IP nor DNS. And Windows Network Diagnostics keeps returning the same message: "The mobile broadband service isn't being executed.".

:scratchhead:

#7 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:19 AM

Do you have DynDNS updater installed on your system?

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#8 DeLuk

DeLuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

No, as far as I know there is no such program, DynDNS updater, installed on this machine, nor ever has been.
Why, if I may ask? For the sake of learning, that is. :)

#9 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

They have a "Dyndns Internet Guide" feature that is part of the software and disabling the feature in the advanced options can fix the problem if it was related to DynDns.

#10 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:16 PM

Let's try something and see if it works.

Right click the network icon on the bottom right of the notifcation pane and go to network and sharing center.

In the middle where it says View your active networks and it has your network click the icon on the left.

Click the merge or delete network locations on the bottom.

unplug any network cables and turn off wireless. You cannot delete a network that is in use.

Delete the network location you think is causing the settings to change.

Close out and go back to the Network and Sharing Center. On the left click Change adapter settings
Right click on your network adapter and select Properties.

Click on your Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and select Properties.
Make sure to set IP and DNS to obtain address automatically. Click advanced and make sure you don't have residual garbage in the DNS and WINS tabs. These should probably always be be blank if you are exclusively using DHCP.

Reconnect to your network(s)
The profile will rebuild itself with the current IPv4 adapter settings as it's default.

Edited by chrisd87, 10 March 2014 - 12:18 PM.

#11 DeLuk

DeLuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:33 AM

Thanks, chris87, for the added feedback.

With regards to DynDNS, I see. Was reading about it too, in their website, in the meantime. But no, that's not installed on the machine, so, no, the problem's gotta lie elsewhere...

I'll try next as you suggested, and then will report back. May take some couple of days, though, since that laptop isn't with me now, but, as soon as my brother brings it back again, so I'll get back too with the result. Fingers crossed already... :)

And thank you again. :)

#12 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:06 AM

You're welcome. We'll be here!

#13 DeLuk

DeLuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

Funny, chrisd87, that you used the plural in your reply, "we'll be here", as that is right how I meant too the "you" in the "thank you again" above: in the plural. I have got help here at BC countless times over the years and thus feels as never enough (let alone too much) to underline the appreciation to the community. :thumbup2:

#14 DeLuk

DeLuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:44 PM

OK, back with the result. Nothing new, though, I'm afraid. :mellow:  Deleting the network location doesn't seem to have made the trick...

It made me think, however, that the problem may actually somehow be related to the fact that this network is currently being reported as "Unidentified Network"? Could it be? Could this be part of the cause, rather than a consequence? I was assuming (wrongly, perhaps?) it to be a consequence? But could it be part of the cause, actually?

In the networks list, there were a couple networks, including the one that was named as this network was previously identified. OK, so I obviously deleted that one. But I also deleted the rest of them, nonetheless. It was only a couple, anyhow. And any which will be used again in the future, it will be brought back in the list anyway, correct? At least, I already used the wifi network afterwards, and it got listed back. However, after having used the mobile broadband network in discussion here, it did not get listed back. Which so made me think that is maybe because it is an "Unidentified Network"? And perhaps, since currently being an "Unidentified Network", so it doesn't get "saved" in the networks list, and also for that reason so it doesn't save the settings for the IPv4 protocol, for obtaining the IP and DNS addresses automatically, as it supposedly should. Is that why? And if so, any thoughts about what to try, so that the network gets identified properly and stops being reported as "Unidentified Network"?

I even tried again the set of commands to reset the IP stack as referred in post #4. But even then that made no difference either.

I also ran chkdsk again and now also sfc. But none reported nothing wrong.

Any further suggestions to try?...

Thanks once more for taking the time. :)

On a side note, a detail/question which I don't know if it is relevant to mention?

In the network properties, under "This connection uses the following items:", there are (only?) three items listed: "Client for Microsoft Networks", "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" and "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)", whereas in the other computer in which I've successfully tested the connect pen (OS: XP SP3) I remember there were further items listed. Is this of any relevance? Is it supposed to be indeed different for XP and Windows 7? Or?

Edited by DeLuk, 15 March 2014 - 07:06 PM.

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:42 PM

Did you try removing all installed Huawei products then starting a fresh software install? Check device manager - hidden devices for related Huawei devices and remove them including Add or Remove Programs. You can also use USBDeview to locate certain huawei installed drivers and then right-click uninstall devices. See also Internet Options - Connections tab - remove Dial up or VPN services.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users