Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVI No Signal - Asus VG248QE / Nvidia GTX760. Previously perfect computer.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Pilltacular

Pilltacular

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:47 PM

I'm going to try to give as much information as I possibly can.

I have the following:

Asus VG248QE monitor (w/ packaged cord - DVI-D)
Nvidia GTX760 graphics card
Asrock H77M Motherboard
Rosewill Capstone 750 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU fan
intel i5 3750k processor
G. Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3 Ram (8gb)

Sufficient power 

Whenever I turn my computer on, my monitor stays in the state it's in when the computer is off. When I turn the monitor off and on again, the power indicator flashes blue (it's normally orange when on standby), says "DVI" then "DVI NO SIGNAL", and turns off.

The DVI connector cable is screwed directly into the port on the graphics card and is securely tightened to both the monitor and the graphics card. There are two compatible graphics card slots on my motherboard, I have tested the card in both slots. There are also two PCI-E / SLI connector cables from the power supply that connect to the GPU. I have tried both cords in both possible configurations (the PCI-E and SLI appear to be able to go in either way).

My computer was working fine 6 hours ago. My friend recently did some fiddling around to hook up one of my fans that I didn't manage to get working. After that, we tested out the fans and they worked fine. He booted up MSI Afterburner, set the fan speed from the default (lowest) to 71, and the computer shut down, started to boot again, and shut down again.

We reassembled the computer entirely and now appears to work except the monitor. While disassembling, he snapped off a piece of the GPU connector slot that appears to not have a purpose other than locking the card in place. No metal bits or anything, I think it's just to secure the card. I'm not sure if that affects anything, as the second slot doesn't work either, and the lock piece is fully intact on that one.

I can try to take pictures with my phone, but the room the computer in is dark and my camera is terrible. If there's something crucial, I can definitely try my best.

If there's anything important I missed, please tell me. I want to get this thing up and running as soon as possible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:17 AM

So there is no signal from Videocard to Monitor.What has happend to Videocard and PCI express slot.What was snapped off.

Edited by Alex&Vanko, 09 March 2014 - 12:28 AM.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:23 AM

Have you tried a different DVI cable?

Did you try one of the other ports on the graphics card?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:44 AM

We reassembled the computer entirely and now appears to work except the monitor. While disassembling, he snapped off a piece of the GPU connector slot that appears to not have a purpose other than locking the card in place. No metal bits or anything, I think it's just to secure the card. I'm not sure if that affects anything, as the second slot doesn't work either, and the lock piece is fully intact on that one.

Can you take a picture of the broken GPU Slot, as this may have shorted out the PCI Express Lane on the motherboard or the card has become damaged due to this.

That locking mechanism is important.

#5 Pilltacular

Pilltacular
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:08 AM

So there is no signal from Videocard to Monitor.What has happend to Videocard and PCI express slot.What was snapped off.

Can you take a picture of the broken GPU Slot, as this may have shorted out the PCI Express Lane on the motherboard or the card has become damaged due to this.

That locking mechanism is important.

http://imgur.com/a/nEJMs?

Difference is visible in the 5th picture.

#6 Pilltacular

Pilltacular
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:09 AM

1. I don't have one, unfortunately. I'm asking around to see if anybody has a spare.

2. Yes, I stated that in the main post.

#7 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:32 AM

I see.So if the black connector to provide power from PSU to Videocard is broken change it.Second PCIx16 express slot is curved or damaged.

Edited by Alex&Vanko, 09 March 2014 - 02:32 AM.

#8 Pilltacular

Pilltacular
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:33 AM

I see.So if the black connector to provide power from PSU to Videocard is broken change it.Second PCIx16 express slot is curved or damaged.

The damaged one is the first slot I believe, and it's more of an inconvenience than something that would break the slot entirely.

#9 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:34 AM

First slot is near to CPU above.Second I mean down.

#10 Pilltacular

Pilltacular
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:03 AM

First slot is near to CPU above.Second I mean down.

Sorry, could you rephrase that?

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

I see that the clip portion was only broken, so that would not cause a short but it would cause the video card to be unbalanced in the motherboard which could cause the motherboard to bend. Have you reassembled the PC outside the case to see if there is no short present?

#12 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:06 PM

First /main/ PCI express which is x16 slot is blue one here.Second is white one and could be x8 or x4/slower/.

asus_p7p55_pro_motherboard_spotted.jpg

Edited by Alex&Vanko, 09 March 2014 - 02:14 PM.

#13 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:13 AM

1. I don't have one, unfortunately. I'm asking around to see if anybody has a spare.

2. Yes, I stated that in the main post.

I saw that you tried the graphics card in the two possible slots on the motherboard, but did not see you mention trying the different ports on the graphics card itself. If I missed it somehow, I apologize.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users