Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSL Certificate Error Message when connecting in Chrome

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mandi4905

mandi4905

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:07 PM

I have a Windows HP Pavillion dv 1000 running Windows XP Home Edition. I recently did a complete system restore and wiped the computer out and have been trying to get all the necessary programs reloaded back into the system. I am making great progress but when I connect to the internet through Google Chrome I keep getting SSL Certificate error messages and it wil not browse nor run any programs in the google chrome, but I can close out go to internet explorer and browse to any where I want to go. I am a student and this browsing option is very important to me to complete assignments. My school also suggests using the Chrome Browser over the IE browser. What could be causing these errors and how do I fix them?

Edited by hamluis, 10 March 2014 - 09:28 AM.
Moved from XP to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:13 PM

Check system time AND date first.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:33 PM

My school also suggests using the Chrome Browser over the IE browser

Hello -

Your quote is a bit unsure of if you Need Chrome browser or would Like Chrome browser.

Personally unless the computer is school supplied, and had Chrome installed as the Default browser, there is no point. And schools do not supply XP systems these days.

Is it Fully Updated and running XP SP3 for a start ??

If it is a Microsoft operating system, chances are it came with Internet Explorer set as Default browser.

To add extra programs that are quite often not required, can cause more problems than you want.

What was your parents reaction when you said the school wants you to add extra browsers ??

They would provide extra help if this was a Genuine request on an XP system -

I keep getting SSL Certificate error messages and it wil not browse nor run any programs in the google chrome

Why change on an older computer/Operating System that is only valid for one month ??

HP Pavillion dv 1000 were from 10 years ago (9 years if you got a late one), so just use it as it is.

Plead for an Updated computer for Birthday / whatever is your best hope. :kiss:

Edited by noknojon, 08 March 2014 - 11:40 PM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:35 PM

I have a feeling that not all windows updates are performed such as the updating of root certificates from Windows Updates.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:43 PM

Agree with cryptodan -

Plus you can read .............  End Of Support For Windows XP SP3 is April 8, 2014

#6 mandi4905

mandi4905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:06 AM

Yes Cryptodan I also feel like the computer is not getting all the updates that it needs to get back to proper functioning capacity. I know we are quickly approaching the April 8 deadline and I am unsure of what to do to hndle this transition. I have a desktop that is running vista but I adore my laptop no matter how old it is. I had to do the system restore because of some not so nice so called friends that got a hold to it and then I found out they were using it for some serious illegal activities and they were arrested for these activities. I felt to avoid all or any issues for myself would be to completley wipe it out. 

I do not know what to do. 

And to reply to you Aussie Addict I am a 45 year old student not a high school student so my parents are not a factor and could trully care less and the birthday plea is out I am lucky to get a card at my age if you know what I mean. Just looking for some help from people I thought might have an answer for me

#7 mandi4905

mandi4905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:08 AM

Check system time AND date first.

I did this as I had this problem with this laptop several years ago and it was found by my Tech Support at the college I attend. Thanks so much for your help though

I have a feeling that not all windows updates are performed such as the updating of root certificates from Windows Updates.

Yes Cryptodan I also feel like the computer is not getting all the updates that it needs to get back to proper functioning capacity. I know we are quickly approaching the April 8 deadline and I am unsure of what to do to hndle this transition. I have a desktop that is running vista but I adore my laptop no matter how old it is. I had to do the system restore because of some not so nice so called friends that got a hold to it and then I found out they were using it for some serious illegal activities and they were arrested for these activities. I felt to avoid all or any issues for myself would be to completley wipe it out. 

I do not know what to do. 

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:11 AM

Here are the root certificate updates: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41084

#9 mandi4905

mandi4905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:20 AM

Here are the root certificate updates: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41084

thanks so much should I try this before I try the Windows Fix-all in one download  

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:23 AM

Yes try that first before the windows repair all in one tool.

And in reply to your private message, get this lap top updated to the very latest windows updates and then run the Windows 7 Upgrade Adviser tool and see if it will run Windows 7, if it will not then it will not run Windows 8.

Edited by cryptodan, 09 March 2014 - 12:24 AM.

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:09 AM

Before you begin :
Before scanning your PC with the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, be sure to plug in and turn on any USB devices or other devices, such as printers, external hard disks, and scanners, that you regularly use with the PC you're checking.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=161223 < Download the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

Chrome Website settings: SSL warning messages & what they mean
Google Chrome SSL Settings
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,013 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:20 AM

quietman7, thanks for those links! I've been having various "SSL" warnings with Google Chrome on all of my computers (all has 3 or more OS's with different brands of security). 

This just may be what the doctor ordered.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:32 AM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#15 Guest_laurasmithus_*

Guest_laurasmithus_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:16 AM

Hello mandi4905

You may get SSL Errors because of

• Untrusted SSL certificate.
  • SSL Purchased form Untrusted Certificate Authority.
  • If Root Certificate is not Installed Properly
  • SSL Name Miss match
  • If a page contains both secure and non secured items.

And to get rid of this SSL certificate errors I've found a solution, hope it will help you

Go throught this link - http://goo.gl/JrniaO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users