Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Died Recently

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 05LS8guy

05LS8guy

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:30 PM

Hello everyone, let me start off by Introducing myself, I am 05LS8guy, that name comes from the 2005 Lincoln LS V8 i own, LS8 was fords internal development nickname for the LS V8, which was changed upon release.  

Beyond that i am a die hard blue oval guy, and have had over 15 Mustangs of all shapes and performance grades, with my last Mustang being a 600+ HP 1982 Mustang GT (T-Top Car) that i had well over 15k invested in it. With That said I have a natural understanding of mechanical things, how they work, are assembled and such, but i have always doubted my learning ability with computers So any help u give i assume i will quickly catch on to.

Let me go into why i am here today, i am here for your help in properly diagnosing my computer issue, and what parts to replace them with for a decent performance upgrade with out going crazy (like i would want to, but cant afford too LOL)

I came home the other day to a dead Comp, power still on, locked up completely.

I Do not know the exact CPU specs but i know the basics, here are the current specs. I bought this PC back in 2010 from iBuyPower.

Windows 7 64bit OS

ASUS P7H55 Motherboard (it has the now replaced 1156 CPU socket) ugh. dead tech lol (original)

Intel Core i5 3.2 ghz i believe. (original)

Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler (upgrade)

Bigfoot Killer 2100 Network Card (upgrade)

Nvidia GeForce GTX 650Ti 2gb ddr5 (upgrade)

12gb of DDR3 1333mhz RAM (4GB's that came with the comp, and 8gbs that are the now discontinued Patriot Sector 5's) 11.99 gbs usable

Samsung 500gb hdd for OS and Programs (original)

Toshiba 250gb hdd for pic storage and the like. (older hdd and slow thats why its storage)

Xion 700W PSU (original)

Computer has been wire tucked by me to help airflow ibuypower didnt properly do it IMO, 

So i came home to the comp locked up, forced a restart (with power button), and comp had no video signal output, but power fired, here is were im not sure what died exactly. I swapped the video card, to still end up with no signal. The HDD has never been audible, yet i can feel it spinning when i touch the drive.

This leads me to believe the CPU has died, now if it has, with no 1156 socket cpu's still being made, do i try to go the cheap route and locate a new 1156 cpu on ebay and hope the motherboard didnt die, or do i just go for a new 1150 socket motherboard and a new i7 cpu to replace the possibly dead i5?

I have browsed Newegg for a few ideas, and i will go with another ASUS Motherboard, i have always heard good things about them, and i like the look of the sabertooth and the ROG motherboards. Do i go with a similar i5, or do i go for a better i7 with out getting to high up into the $$$$. It may be possible i upgrade the graphics card again in the future to a 700 series invidia card.

I also plan to go with a new HAF-X case, along with a V850 PSU after i get the computer functioning again. I need it working again before i buy a $200 case and $169 dollar psu tho lol

This comp is strictly my gaming rig, I play APB:Reloaded, and sadly i LOVE that game even being as broken as it is, i play a few other games as well, and until now it handled the game perfectly, I just want it to do that and also handle watch dogs when it comes out. So if i only get a small performance upgrade, im fine as long as i can play those games.

FYI guys, two things i will never do is go to a AMD CPU, or AMD GPU, so dont even bother suggesting it please.

PS sorry if my thread is choppy, i am writing this in a hurry, as i am moving on wednesday, and trying to get back to packing and cleaning so i apologize.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

Please download MiniToolBox, and save it to your desktop and run it, and checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:49 PM

Original but rubbish costs - 40$ - Xion 700W PSU

I don`t know this brand.

Edited by Alex&Vanko, 08 March 2014 - 09:50 PM.

#4 05LS8guy

05LS8guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:56 PM

Please download MiniToolBox, and save it to your desktop and run it, and checkmark the following checkboxes:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

Sir, The computer powers, but i have No video output, but the video card has been tested good, so i dont think this would be possible for me to do

I am currently using my laptop, its my desktop gaming rig that died.

Alex&Vanko i agree about the psu, but would the computer even turn on at all if the PSU was bad? that is the original psu btw.

Edited by 05LS8guy, 08 March 2014 - 10:01 PM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:57 PM

Do you have on board video that you can try?

#6 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:58 PM

I also have ASUS same socket and i3 and GTS450 and PSU for 100$

#7 05LS8guy

05LS8guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:06 PM

Do you have on board video that you can try?

This motherboard doesnt have an output on the i/o board, but i might have a usb to vga adapter, should i try that?

#8 05LS8guy

05LS8guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:11 PM

Just found the adapter, and its not what i thought it was nevermind, sorry

Not sure if the Cpu supports gpu output through a usb, would it be worth it to try and pick one up?

Edited by 05LS8guy, 08 March 2014 - 10:13 PM.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:13 PM

You can try that, but I would go to the store and see if they have a video card that requires little power to rule our a dead computer. Your power supply could not be providing enough power to power your current card and that is why it locked up.

Where about's do you live all I need is your State and City.

#10 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:14 PM

Sorry H55 but no connectors.

Edited by Alex&Vanko, 08 March 2014 - 10:16 PM.

#11 05LS8guy

05LS8guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:22 PM

You can try that, but I would go to the store and see if they have a video card that requires little power to rule our a dead computer. Your power supply could not be providing enough power to power your current card and that is why it locked up.

Where about's do you live all I need is your State and City.

I live in Rochester, MN

The rig isnt hooked up to the net anymore to try and connect to it. 

I could go buy a cheap card, just to return it for in store credit, but best buy is closed for today.

Edited by 05LS8guy, 08 March 2014 - 10:23 PM.

#12 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

What has happend with Patriot.It is a good RAM.I can recommend you PSU and other things.A lot of experience I have.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:28 PM

Go to Best Buy or even a 24 hour Wal-Mart they should have a video card.

Something like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/MSI-Video-GeForce-210-1GB-DDR3-PCI-Express-x16-2.0-DVI-HDMI-Graphics-Card/15172289

#14 05LS8guy

05LS8guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:29 PM

I just checked out best buy, and according to the site they only stock the dynex 400 watt psu's so i couldnt even pick up a psu to test that either

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:31 PM

Here is what I found on Bestbuy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17006&type=page&skuId=8324202&seeAll=&searchpage=true&_requestid=227552 the last 2 stores have it so not sure how far the drive is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users