Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Compaq PSU testing?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Latoof

Latoof

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:45 PM

I have a HP Compaq PSU and while it appears new I want to test it before installing it.   The HP part number on the box is 308617-001.

The pin outs appear to be the same - colours match the standard AXT standard however I am aware that sometimes the propiratary systems dont conform to the standard.

I have tested standard AXT PSU by connecting pin 14 (green wire 20 pin AXT connector)  to ground/0V to turn on the PSU but want to ensure this will work on the HP PSU.

Thanks in advance for your help. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:00 AM

You can test the psu by shorting the green to black wires as you suggested and then use a multimeter to confirm proper voltages. Here is a video on how to test a PSU with a multimeter:

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Latoof

Latoof
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:31 AM

Hi zingo156.  thanks for the reply.  I have tested standard AXT PSU before but I was more concerned that the HP one may be non standard in some way.  I went ahead and tested the PSU with an old HDD as a load and the HDD is now fritzed and the OP voltage only came up momentarily and then shut down again so I can safely assume the PSU is faulty!

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:06 AM

HP occasionally did use proprietary psu's, most of the time the pin out was similar but not always, also the voltage may be slightly different. If the psu took out a hard drive (I assume connected to a molex or sata power cord) it likely has failed. Both the molex and sata power cords are standard in all psu's from what I have seen. You should have a 5volt and 12volt from molex/sata. Red = 5volt and yellow = 12volt. Also I have tested many power supplies without a load and they were fine... Then put a load on them and they are completely out of spec. I never trust a light load test myself.

I built up a beast psu testing rig which used 10 X 2.65 amp dell blower style fans. (I had these laying around from torn apart computers that were recycled) with the cpu and ram the total draw was around 400 watts, I used an old p4. Fans are tough, I have yet to burn one out completely. I powered one of these 12v dell 2.65amp blower fans on a 24v system, the fan smoked but still worked after, this was a joke test to see how fast it would go. Those fans are loud and move a ton of air but are so much fun to play around with. If anyone is ever looking for a beast fan here is the same one I was using; http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Dell-BG0903-B049-P0S-Dimension-Optiplex/dp/B008K7Z3NO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1VGQ8MH1WZAMV1TQYAS1

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Latoof

Latoof
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:31 AM

Thanks for your continued interest.  I have now discarded the PSU so no further action is required.

Edited by hamluis, 16 March 2014 - 11:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users