Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tried to make Unbuntu partition. Messed up

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Bribo

Bribo

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:15 PM

Running windows 7 and made a partition for Unbuntu and launched the .iso that was mounted from a virtual drive.  It said something about sampling before you install and how it was safe and commitment free so I restarted and now have big problems.  Here is a CnP of what I posted in the Windows 7 section for help:

think I might've messed up pretty bad.

I wanted to set up a partition to run an Umbuntu OS.  During that process I made my C: drive instead of that other little 100mb or so system drive my primary drive.  Not sure if that was my big mistake also or if it's nothing.

I then set up a 16gb or so partition and double clicked the Umbuntu .iso that I DL'd (should've put it on a thumb drive I'm guessing).  It said something about demo-ing the OS before you install and I was like oh, that's safe, go ahead and restart... then I get the message in the title.

To make things more difficult I don't have a working CD drive to run my recovery discs on.

So, I've DL'd the umbuntu ISO again and something from a filesharing site that says it'll boot Windows 7 64 from a thumb drive.

The umbuntu iso on the thumbdrive isn't booting at all.

I've run a few checks from the menus available and everything has passed.

Turns out the Windows 7 thing I DL'd will definintely not work.

Screen says Status: 0xc000000f

info:  The boot selection failed because a requried device is inaccessible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:23 PM

What happens when you try to boot regularly?

#3 Bribo

Bribo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:36 PM

I get the "Windows Failed to Start" message with the status and info messages I posted above.

I tried to boot from the umbuntu iso on a thumb drive and get a "Disk error, press any key to restart" message. 

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

If you selected Try Ubuntu it should not have asked you to make a partition at all, as it should have just booted from the thumbdrive. You must have went through the install, and it aborted your was interrupted and at this point you wiped Windows off the drive, and possibly the recovery partition. Is USB Drive selected in the BIOS to boot from?

#5 Bribo

Bribo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:45 PM

I wasn't asked to make a partition, I did that in preperation.   I didn't have it on a thumbdrive at the time, It was mounted via daemon tools or something.  I got thrown off when it said just try it by restarting.  Obviously it wasn't there to boot from when I restarted (I know, I'm an idiot)... and now doesn't want to seem to boot from the USB either (which I put at the top of the boot order from the Bios)

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:49 PM

How did you make the partition, did you shrink the drive in Windows Disk Management or did you use some other partitioning tool? That first 100Megabytes of the disk drive is where windows stores its boot information, and with the USB not booting it maybe due to the fact it wasn't properly created to boot from. Do you have a Windows CD?

#7 Bribo

Bribo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

I tried to use the Windows Disk Manager but the shrink button was all greyed out so I DL'd and used partition magic.

I have windows recovery discs, but no disc drive (broke the connection on the MB) or external or anything.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

I would redo the thumbdrive using the following software: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ and see if it will boot again.

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:58 PM

I've DL'd the umbuntu ISO again and something from a filesharing site that says it'll boot Windows 7 64

Like cryptodan said If you just ran a live disk of unbuntu nothing should have happend other than unbuntu booting. I suspect you damaged the windows partition, or the MBR. You should only download linux stuff from linux. not some file sharing site that lets you "a filesharing site that says it'll boot Windows 7 64" wonder what that is.

#10 Bribo

Bribo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:01 PM

I would redo the thumbdrive using the following software: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ and see if it will boot again.

Thanks,  DLing YUMI now.

#11 Bribo

Bribo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:03 PM

I've DL'd the umbuntu ISO again and something from a filesharing site that says it'll boot Windows 7 64

Like cryptodan said If you just ran a live disk of unbuntu nothing should have happend other than unbuntu booting. I suspect you damaged the windows partition, or the MBR. You should only download linux stuff from linux. not some file sharing site that lets you "a filesharing site that says it'll boot Windows 7 64" wonder what that is.

It was "7 ultimate USB edition x64  v3.0 by iMortaluz"... it was from a torrent site.  It doesn't really do what I need, but I don't think it's shady.

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,570 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:08 PM

It was "7 ultimate USB edition x64  v3.0 by iMortaluz"... it was from a torrent site.  It doesn't really do what I need, but I don't think it's shady.

It came from a torrent site it's more than just shady. I wouldnt trust torrents if you paid me.And I use Linux. Torrent = sure way of getting infected hacked and who knows what else. And downloading "7 ultimate USB edition x64  v3.0 by iMortaluz" = pirate copy of windows.

I think you damaged the partition table. If you have gparted you may and I say may be able to recover the data but I do not know anything about partition magic.

Edited by NickAu1, 08 March 2014 - 07:14 PM.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:13 PM

Sounds to me like that file is a pirated version of Windows that is bootable from a USB Drive.

#14 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:19 PM

That just sounds like a pirate version of Windows 7...  I would suggest not using it, you just don't know what is on it.  If you do not have your Windows 7 disk, official iso's from Microsoft can be downloaded here which you can use if you have a valid license key - http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

To get Windows to work again you will need to do a startup repair.  That will involve booting from a Windows 7 DVD or flash drive and going through the repair options.  Making the C: drive the active boot drive was a mistake - the 100mb system reserved drive is where the boot files for Windows 7 are.

As for Ubuntu, if I read your post right it sounds like you were trying to install it from within Windows using a virtual optical drive.  This won't work  if you want to install Ubuntu into it's own partition.  You need to actually boot from an Ubuntu DVD (physical, not virtual) or flash drive to install it like that.  There is something on the Ubuntu DVD called Wubi, which installs Ubuntu without needing to repartition the drive.  This installer might work from a virtual drive, but I've never tried it.

YUMI which you have downloaded will allow you to put the official W7 iso on a flash drive, together with any linux iso's you want to use.

EDIT *Have edited the above with major changes from when it was first posted*

Edited by jonuk76, 08 March 2014 - 07:29 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,570 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:31 PM

You could try this..... I make NO PROMISE that it will work.

Load puppy from the live dvd. Once loaded.

right click the desktop select "system" and find gparted and click it when the gparted box open hit ok.

2k3qmr.png

As you can see my pc is not detecting sdb1( a USB stick I just corrupted for this screen shot.)

yet gparted is

You will get another box like

2a8pc0k.png

At the top select device and attempt data rescue.

2z6e234.png

I MAKE NO PROMISE THIS WILL WORK.

Edited by NickAu1, 08 March 2014 - 07:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users