Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Windows failed to start" (no CD drive for recovery)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bribo

Bribo

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:04 PM

I think I might've messed up pretty bad.

I wanted to set up a partition to run an Umbuntu OS.  During that process I made my C: drive instead of that other little 100mb or so system drive my primary drive.  Not sure if that was my big mistake also or if it's nothing.

I then set up a 16gb or so partition and double clicked the Umbuntu .iso that I DL'd (should've put it on a thumb drive I'm guessing).  It said something about demo-ing the OS before you install and I was like oh, that's safe, go ahead and restart... then I get the message in the title.

To make things more difficult I don't have a working CD drive to run my recovery discs on.

So, I've DL'd the umbuntu ISO again and something from a filesharing site that says it'll boot Windows 7 64 from a thumb drive.

The umbuntu iso on the thumbdrive isn't booting at all.

I've run a few checks from the menus available and everything has passed.

Turns out the Windows 7 thing I DL'd will definintely not work.

Screen says Status: 0xc000000f

info:  The boot selection failed because a requried device is inaccessible.

Edited by Bribo, 08 March 2014 - 06:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:27 PM

You say that Windows isn't booting, but it is implied that the computer is trying to start, so you can get into the BIOS. If you can, set a USB drive to be first in the boot priority list and you should be able to boot from a thumb drive.

It is always possible that you have a BIOS that will not recognise  USB drives for booting, in which case you are going to have to get a working CD drive into the computer. It is possible that your BIOS may recognise a USB CD drive where it doesn't recognise a thumb drive, so you could try a CD in an external drive, if you can lay your hands on one.

Make and model of computer would be useful next time, or main specs if it is a self built machine.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 Bribo

Bribo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:34 PM

It's an HP G60

I am able to set the USB as the primary boot drive in the BIOS, but I get a "Disk error, press any key to restart" message when trying to boot

I found a site that has the official windows 7 iso images, not sure if that's gonna help me at this point though.  Especially since I don't have any documentation (windows came installed)

#4 Bribo

Bribo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:37 PM

When trying to do a system recovery (f11) I also get "Disk error, press any key to restart" message.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:53 PM

He has another post here about this same issue: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526931/tried-to-make-unbuntu-partition-messed-up/#entry3309627

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users