Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Back up hardware and software questions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cbcac

cbcac

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

My computer has a 1TB internal hard drive and then I have two identical 1TB external USB drives for backups and additional space.  In the beginning when we had another computer we backed up our C: drive to the x:drive and the x: drive to the y: drive with some sort of software.  Over a year ago we got a new computer and we were really busy and never dealt with the back up :(.  I haven't lost anything but I really need to do some work on our storage situation. 

So here is where I need your help. 

1.  I need some sort of software that will help me sort out what is where and what is duplicated.  Get is all in one place again so I can start backing up again.  Does that exist?  My X:drive is getting very full.  My husband does a lot of photography and we are overflowing with photos.  Maybe I even need more space on a new drive but for now I just need to make sure I am not storing a bunch of junk.  Any advice will be appreciated.  I know this sounds like a mess because it is... 

2.  Second I need some sort of really good but hopeful not too expensive software that will do a really good reliable backup.  Something simple would be good.  What I need is software that is really intelligent so that it looks at the last backup and only backs up what is new...right?  Anyway any advice is great.

3.  If we decide to add more hardware anyone have any advice on reasonably priced big drives that work well and last.  I know I can post this in Hardware but it sort of goes with this post.

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cbcac

cbcac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

Ok so maybe that is too complicated sorry I tend to be wordy :whistle: .  So does anyone know of a good backup software?  Lets just see if anyone can help me with that part.  PLEASE :)  Or maybe even a source of good reviews for software.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:42 PM

Duplicate File finders can be problematic because it's possible to delete system files and render the computer unbootable. You should always check what it finds and verify if it is okay to delete the duplicate.

You can look at this software and see if it fits your needs.

You did not mention your OS so I am assuming it is Windows 7. Windows 7 has it's own backup and restore. You can also create a bootable repair disk in Windows 7 and use it to recover a system image if the computer does not boot.

Creating a system repair disk

Backup your files

Restore files from a backup

Creating a full system image

System Image Recovery

Some other system image backup software that will also let you create bootable disks. All free and they all work with XP.

Macrium Reflect Free - Full system image backup only but very fast.  (no incremental or differential backups)  Linux boot and Windows PE boot disk option

Macrium Help Manual

Aoemi Backupper - Full system image backup with incremental and differential options  Linux boot and Windows PE boot disk option

Aoemi Help tutorials

Easeus Todo Backup  - Full system image backup and also file backup (full and incremental options only) Linux boot disk only.

Easeus Help. Manual is for paid version but close

Hope this helps.

#4 cbcac

cbcac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:35 PM

Thank you for the response.  Sorry for the lack of info....

Here is more info about my system.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1

Dell

8300 XPS

16 GB RAM

intel ® Core ™ i7-2600 cpu @3.40GHz 3.40 

Like I said above 1TB internal and 2 separate 1TB external drives.

So would you just run the backup software that comes with windows?  I guess I need to do some research on it and read about the features.  Thanks for the suggestions. 

Looks like this is going to be just as hard as I expected.  No easy fix :(

What I really need is a 3 or 4TB drive that I can dump all of the drives onto and then clean up the data of dups and old stuff and then stick it back on one drive all clean so I can back it up again to the other two drives :)  But a big huge drive is not in my budget right now.  Too bad there isn't a loner program for big drives lol.

#5 barryherne

barryherne

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:28 AM

As for the tool to sort the existing files - I have never come across such a solution. It is better to watch yourself what and where. As for backup tool Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/pc-backup) seems to be a reliable tool. At least I like the price they give and the chance to keep the data in the cloud or backup up to any other places. The tool is cloud-based one and no installation is required and on their site their the knowledge base where you can always get what the necessary help.

#6 cbcac

cbcac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:54 PM

Thanks I will look into that one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users