Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crash on startup between agpcpq.sys and acpi.sys -- Dell D505 Win XP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 eamoc

eamoc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:52 PM

Greetings,

My Dell Latitude D505 laptop is not booting. In normal mode, the Windows XP startup screen displays, and then goes blank and hangs indefinitely. In safe mode, it lists drivers up to agpCPQ.sys, and hangs. The next driver to load would have been ACPI.
("Did not load driver Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC")

I do not have the XP startup/installation disc(s), so I've taken this opportunity to finally learn as much as I can about Windows (Mac/Linux guy). In my frustration I may have taken a couple of steps to worsen the situation. Here's what I've done so far:

Believing it a video problem, I tried to install the most recent graphics drivers, R111509.EXE and then, when that failed, R78792.EXE, which both hang with the message "Installing version...," but when I try a second time, it complains that they're already installed.

I restored the registry from a backup that I had made, to no avail, and then restored the registry from a backup from when system was first installed, which also flopped.

Booted from XP recovery console CD and ran chkdsk mixing and matching various flags, ran fixboot, ran fixmbr, tried different boot.ini configurations.

Booted from Hiren's boot cd and ran rootkit removal tools and other malware/spyware tools with latest updates.

I upgraded to the most recent BIOS.

once i got a BSOD reading:
STOP: 0X0000007B (0xF78C6528,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I held the fn key and booted without the battery, performing Dell's pre-boot diagnostic. Everything passed.

Reset the CMOS battery.

The last thing I'd done (before the problem arose) was uninstall Windows Defender using iObit Uninstaller software. Perhaps a lousy idea, but I'd read you can uninstall it and use whatever other program(s) for antivirus/firewall, which I'd already been using.

I'm out of ideas.

Oh -- one more: Is it ok that (what I think is) the boot partition is in FAT format? I think that's what I'm seeing (copied below):

diskpart returns,
57232 MB Disk 0 at Id0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
-: Partition1 [FAT]        47 MB         <    39 MB free>
C: Partition2 [NTFS]    57159 MB     < 36603 MB free>

Is there an easy way to change that without formating the partition? Or would that even be necessary or worhtwhile (or safe, eeee-VUHN)?

Anyway, I think I've exhausted my imagination as to what the problem could be, and turn to the internet for guidance. Lacking the original XP install/startup discs, I was driven to try every other solution I could find. After dozens or hundreds of Google searches, much learning and much frustration, I throw in the towel and humbly enquire: what to do?

Edited by eamoc, 08 March 2014 - 04:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,209 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:53 PM

First things first - welcome to BC !

Does this laptop have a recovery partition built in and do you have access, even if it is a friend's, to another computer ?

I think you have reached the stage where, if you are going to continue with XP (but see all the various warnings about MS support for XP ending next month) you are going to have to do a system rebuild. If you decide to change operating systems you will effectively be doing that anyway.

But FIRST, you need to recover your data from this computer. Probably as simple a way as any is to use a lightweight Linux like Puppy together with an external USB hard drive. Linux Puppy creates a bootable disc which you can then use to copy data to the external hard drive. You can get Puppy from here, along with instructions on how to use it :-

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

Note that the download is an .ISO file and you will need something like ImageBurn to turn the downloaded file into a usable and bootable disc. It is very easy to use and makes no permanent changes to your existing OS. I have used it several times very successfully to salvage data.

Once you have saved your data, you can then go on either to rebuild your XP or install a different OS. The simplest way to re-set your computer would be if it has a recovery partition. This will re-set it to the state it came from the manufacturer's in. If you have a COA attached to your computer (the MS activation code, which should be on a sticker somewhere) then you can use any XP install disc that is the same version as the one you have already installed. If you decide you don't wish to re-install XP, then your choices are reasonably wide open.

Your laptop is fairly old, and may well not run either Win 7 or 8. You can check here, if you can get it to start :

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

If it won't run the newer Windows systems, then you are probably going to have to go with one flavour or other of Linux. Take a look in the Linux section on BC for opinions and advice.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 eamoc

eamoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

Wow, thanks for the in-depth reply. I don't see a recovery partition anywhere, but I'll get right to the backup. I have a really cool tool called unetbootin that maintains links to several linux live distributions and puts one on a USB flash drive. A friend is lending me an XP disc, so I'll be sure that a recovery partition is part of the reinstallation. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users