Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

gateway nv55c56u wont boot to bios

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 danbig007

danbig007

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

laptop was working wonderfully with no problems and then suddenly quit. So evey time i try to turn it on, the power button  lights up and fan kicks on for a second and then  shuts itself off. So I am going to list the things i have tried to do to fix it.

1.   I did a hard reset

2. took cmos battery out and checked voltage

3. tried to boot up by taking memory out one at a time.

4. disconnected fan and tried to start it.

5. Replaced motherboard with a new one i bought off of ebay

6. Had same problem with new motherboard so tried to start by disconnecting different ribbon cables and starting and same thing continues, light turns on fan turns on, laptop turns off.

i must admit i am computer illiterate but i have a good understanding of electricity and am very mechanical. I am hoping one of you pc wizards can tell me how big of a idiot i am for not doing something i should have to fix this thing.Any help would be greatly appreciated!

copy and pasted about laptop.

It has an Intel Core i3 processor, but it is not from the latest Sandy Bridge family. The CPU is an older “Arrandale” Core i3-370M, clocked at 2.4GHz. Its performance in benchmarks is usually rated between the “Sandy Bridge”-based Pentium B-series and Core i3 chips. The notebook comes with Intel HD integrated GPU only, 4GB of RAM and a 320GB hard drive and has all the features of a standard laptop: built-in DVD burner, 1366 x 768 screen resolution, a 1.3MP web camera, Wi-Fi, three USB ports, HDMI output, a six-cell battery for “up to 4 hours” of operation on a single charge.

Other features of the Gateway NV55C56U include a 2-in-1 media card reader, Gigabit LAN, and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OS.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:10 AM

have you tested the power adapter with a multimeter for correct voltage? If it is correct, remove the battery from the laptop and try powering on with the power adapter only. I have seen many batteries cause problems like this.

You should try each stick of ram in each slot (alone). Also any component can cause the computer to fail to post. Webcams, keyboard, hard drive etc. If you can not get it to power on at all, try turning on the computer while only having required components connected: cpu + cpu cooler, monitor connected to the main board (built in or external), 1 stick of ram in 1 slot (move to the next if needed), leave the battery out, then try to power on.

ALWAYS BE SURE TO: disconnect all power sources when taking a computer apart. Remove the power adapter and the battery.

Edited by zingo156, 10 March 2014 - 09:12 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 danbig007

danbig007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

have you tested the power adapter with a multimeter for correct voltage? If it is correct, remove the battery from the laptop and try powering on with the power adapter only. I have seen many batteries cause problems like this.

You should try each stick of ram in each slot (alone). Also any component can cause the computer to fail to post. Webcams, keyboard, hard drive etc. If you can not get it to power on at all, try turning on the computer while only having required components connected: cpu + cpu cooler, monitor connected to the main board (built in or external), 1 stick of ram in 1 slot (move to the next if needed), leave the battery out, then try to power on.

ALWAYS BE SURE TO: disconnect all power sources when taking a computer apart. Remove the power adapter and the battery.

Zingo  thank you so much for the help. I followed your advice and it worked. I had swapped the memory around on the original board but was apparently not tedious enough. This time I made sure each stick went in each slot alone as you suggested and on my last try it booted up. Now I just need to buy some new memory . The motherboard was only 50 bucks on ebay so I am not into it for to much. It probably would have never been fixed without your help.

You rock!

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:26 AM

Glad I could help :)

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users