Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have You Ever Dialled 911? (emergency Services)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 10:34 AM

H ave you ever had the need to dial emergency services.

I did on a few occasions, the most recent was wgen i saw an old man gettin ran down by a car...he got up and walked away by the time they got there...they had to chase him to treat him..

I always ring the cops when i hear a group of young people making excessive noise and disturbance, for their protection...they really aggrivate me and i do have my marlin,(thats not a woman by the way) better the cops deal with'em than i....

Edited by snyper, 15 May 2006 - 10:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 10:41 AM

YES one time when my daughter was a baby I called the ambulance for her... by the time they came she was ok.. but I was scared.

One other time 911 called me!

LOL my youngest had learned to dial the phone and called 911. *eek*

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 10:45 AM

I dialed it once by accident..... i almost hung up, but thought it better to wait for the operator and explain that it was an accident instead of risking them thinking something was wrong and that i HAD to hang up....

Other than that, i have never dialed 911. I have called campus police at NCSU a few times. I saw a kid getting the s**t beat out of him in front of my dorm, and there was another group of kids that looked like they were about to get into a brawl. They were loud as crap, and i just wanted to sleep.....

#4 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 06:01 PM

My mom accidently hit the 911 speed dial on our phone once, then left to run some errands. A neighbor said the police came to investigate to make sure she didn't hang up because of an emergency, and we were glad to know that they come to check.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#5 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:49 AM

Yes I have - and perhaps this is the one time in life where seeming to be 'totally in control' is not the best option - gentle smile.

I called 9-1-1 when my husband suddenly developed massive chest pain (age 40) - and apparently I was so "calm and cool" on the telephone that after I gave all the details and hung up, they actually called me back to see if it was a "prank call".

(Lesson to myself ... while it's okay in most cases to 'never seem to panic', there are times where it just may be better to forget the 'stiff upper lip' stuff!).

Mara
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#6 equinox55

equinox55

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 11:49 AM

I have never had the need to call 911, not yet anyhow!
Davis Baumung

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:42 PM

Once I was sitting on my bed with my son, he had to be 3 or 4 at the time. We were watching tv, the show 911 actually. Then my phone rang. It was my neighbor the cop who worked in dispatch for the sherriff's department. He said he was at work and wondered if everything was alright. I was puzzled but said yes, and he said he wondered because they had just received two calls from my number. Seeing he was on duty and he happened to recognize my address he called me to confirm. Turns out my son had called after being inspired from the tv show I guess.

The cop wanted to speak with my son. My son never did it again!

But yes, I have called 911 on several occasions. Once we thought my wife was having a heart attack. She wasn't. Once we thought I was having a heart attack. I wasn't.

And several times on my cell phone as I have witnessed or come upon auto accidents.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 18 May 2006 - 01:43 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#8 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:08 PM

Well only happened once while I was programming the speed dial buttons on my phone it accidentely called... and the operator wasn't really understanding... I got the hole speach... wasn't really listening though...

#9 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:17 PM

The 911 operator I had was a very nice Gal.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,338 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 12:14 AM

Yes many times, mostly for auto accidents.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 12:23 AM

WOW I completely forgot about the drunk driver that went off the road directly across the road in front of my house. OMG was he mad!!! hahaha but that would be 3 times I can recall dialing 11.. well almost 3. :thumbsup:

~ Benjamin Franklin

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users