Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Audio in Windows 8?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Quazisaurus_Rex

Quazisaurus_Rex

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:58 AM

Hello all, and thank you for taking the time to read this! 

My issue seems to be with my sound card... It was working fine when a few days ago my sound was suddenly no longer working. Spotify will not play any music and gives me the error message that "There seems to be a problem with your sound card. Spotify cannot play any music." Windows media suddenly says I have no access to my videos to check for sound there, and youtube videos and the like will also not produce audio. 

I have checked my drivers like many people have recommended, and it says that my driver is fine. I'm not sure of the make and model... 

I've attached some photos of the errors in case that would help. I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 that a friend updated to Windows 8 Pro back in early 2013. I'm unsure of what to do, but I am very much desperate!

Things I've Tried

• Uninstalling the driver in Device manager, then "scan for hardware changes"

Attached File  devicemngr.png   291.99KB   0 downloads Attached File  driver.png   20.68KB   0 downloads Attached File  soundproblem.png   591bytes   0 downloads

• (It was after trying this that the little red 'x' appeared next to the sound icon in my notifications bar)
  • System Restore; that DID NOT WORK. For some reason, I can only run this from Safe Mode.......
  • Attached File  system restore.png   12.63KB   0 downloads Attached File  fuh.png   18.86KB   0 downloads
  • Reinstalling Windows 8. My system will NOT allow this either for some reason. It says there was a problem and that nothing was changed. 
  • I have checked the sound settings, and the speakers are my default. 
  • Ran the troubleshooter for audio... it says that "change in hardware might not have been detected detected"
  • Attached File  hardwarechanged.png   14.22KB   0 downloads

I really am at a loss... It happened right after a restart that I did following a malwarebytes full scan that cam up with a large number of "PUP"s as they're called. To remove them, I had to restart. When I restarted the sound no longer worked. I am unsure of whether or not this has anything to do with it, as I've run the scan before and nothing happened...

I would very much appreciate any help that you can offer, on any of these problems! I really am desperate... Thank you so much for your time, I hope to her from you all soon! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

Hi, have you also tried updating your video card drivers? And to please give this a shot

1. Click Start, type Services.msc in the Start Search box.

2. Scroll down the list of services, right-click Windows Audio and select Start.

3. Select Properties for Windows Audio and set its Startup Type to Automatic.

Also please publish a snapshot of your system using speccy following this tutorial

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#3 Quazisaurus_Rex

Quazisaurus_Rex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:12 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/csBancEPpGZqmGWRbYrCzee

!!!!! Oh my, that doesn't look good!

#4 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

you ran this in normal desktop mode and not in safe mode correct? seems like you dont have admin rights. can you please run it again as administrator.

after extracting the files right click speccy64 (if you are running a 64bit OS, if not, use the application listed as 'speccy') and choose run as administrator. see if that changes it.

also did you try those three steps i listed in my earlier post? did it help get your sound back?

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#5 Quazisaurus_Rex

Quazisaurus_Rex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:37 PM

I did the three steps, but they didn't help! It was already "running" and the start-up type was already set to automatic... 

I also tried right-clicking speccy and "run as administrator" but I got the same results!! Access is still denied to everything, and I'm signed in as an administrator. :(

#6 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:56 PM

ok please try this with an elevated command prompt. to do this in windows 8, from your start screen type 'cmd' when it comes up in your search box, right click it and choose 'run as administrator' then follow this guide

1. Open an elevated command prompt in Windows 8.

2. In the elevated command prompt, type sfc /scannow and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: This may take a while to finish running.

2661d1318453706t-sfc-scannow-command-run

3. When the scan is complete, hopefully you will see an all is ok message like the bottom screenshot below.
NOTE: Luckily SFC was able to repair my corrupted system files automatically.

2662d1318453706t-sfc-scannow-command-run

23242d1371670550t-sfc-scannow-command-ru

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

How to Enable Window Administrator Account......(then run Speccy if you still need to)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/enable-disable-windows-administrator-account/

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 Quazisaurus_Rex

Quazisaurus_Rex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:29 PM

@acerts04, I am running the scan now... I neglected to mention that I've done it once before and didn't screen cap it... but it doesn't hurt to try again! I'll have the results for you in a few!

@Condobloke, I just tried as you recommended, but the admin account was already enabled! Then I tried the second method, which actually stated that it was disabled, and I enabled it. Still, I ran speccy again and I still get the same results... all access is denied. 

#9 Quazisaurus_Rex

Quazisaurus_Rex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:57 PM

Attached File  sfcscan.png   12.93KB   0 downloads

No luck :(

#10 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:11 PM

please try running this in an elevated command prompt

Run:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

in administrator command prompt & reboot.

31015d1383512369t-corrupt-files-found-bu

Then run sfc /scannow again in an elevated command prompt and see if that helps rid of the corrupted files

Edited by acerts04, 08 March 2014 - 07:17 PM.

#11 Quazisaurus_Rex

Quazisaurus_Rex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

Attached File  failed.png   10.98KB   0 downloads

What is going ooon with my computerrrr D: 

#12 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:11 PM

G'day, there is a quick way to hopefully fix this issue which is to "Refresh your PC" and what the purpose of it is to reinstall Windows while keeping your personal files like photos, videos, documents etc.

To refresh your PC:

1. Open the charms bar ( Use your mouse to point the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down).

2. Click on Settings then click on PC Settings.

3. Click on Update and Recovery then click on Recovery

4. Under "Refresh your PC without affecting files", click on "Get Started".

5. Follow the instructions from there on.

Edited by killerx525, 08 March 2014 - 08:11 PM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#13 Quazisaurus_Rex

Quazisaurus_Rex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:23 PM

Attached File  bustedfiles.png   266.21KB   0 downloads

Sorry, I'm not very computer savvy! A bit more guidance would be great! Is it saying that I need the Win8 installation disk? Because it was installed before I actually got my computer by a friend... D:

#14 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

Sorry, I'm not very computer savvy! A bit more guidance would be great! Is it saying that I need the Win8 installation disk? Because it was installed before I actually got my computer by a friend... D:

O.O Hmmm, that is very very strange, it should not be asking for the Windows 8 installation disk at all. Uh, using the same steps again but this time try clicking on "Remove everything and reinstall Windows" but before you do it, please back up all of your personal files like photos, music, videos, documents etc onto a separate hard drive.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#15 Quazisaurus_Rex

Quazisaurus_Rex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:34 PM

It states that there was a problem resetting my PC, and that no changes were made...... :S

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users