Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brandnew Lenovo Y510P extremely slow

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cultblonde

cultblonde

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

Hey everyone,

I bought a Lenovo Y510P laptop yesterday and it is extremely slow. It takes quite long to start up, simple tasks such as opening the control panel will freeze it for a about 30seconds. I haven't dared putting any demanding software on it (apart from Chrome and McAfee (paid subscription)).  My 6-year old Toshiba P300-17R is faster, which is completely ridiculous. I have no idea why it is this slow. Could anyone point me in the right direction for fixing this annoying problem? 

Lenovo Y510P-00303NL

8GB RAM, 4th gen Intel Core i7-4700MQ, NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M, 1TB HDD + it was running Windows 8, now updated to 8.1

Thanks so much!

(p.s. I wasn't sure in which sub category to put this and I thought it might be a Windows 8 problem - sorry if this is the wrong forum!)

Edited by cultblonde, 08 March 2014 - 11:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:58 PM

Hi cultblonde, and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

You posted that you purchased the computer yesterday.  Is this a new computer under warranty?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

If this computer has a warranty i would return it back to where you purchased it. If not, please run A hard drive diagnostic using seagate seatools for dos.

You can follow this helpful guide to do that

http://www.megaleecher.net/Seagate_SeaTools_For_DOS_Bootable_USB_Maker_Kit#axzz2vOpTNuNH

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:10 PM

Notice:  SeaTools for DOS will run on all manufacturer's hard drives, but may not recognize the hard drive if the Storage Configuration is not set in a configuration which SeaTools will recognize. 

If the motherboard has a Intel SATA controller the storage configuration for SATA must be set to AHCI.

If the mohterboard has a Marvel SATA controller the storage configuration for SATA must be set to IDE.

To determined how your storage is configured open the Device Manager and click on IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.This will expand the tree allowing you to see your storage configuration.

If you need to change the configuration you will have to go into the BIOS to make the change.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users