Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Fan Error - Sabertooth Z77

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Brastow

Tim Brastow

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:20 AM

Every time I start up my PC, I get a "CPU Fan Error". I can still go into BIOS, exit BIOS, and it goes away. I only get this error if my computer has been shutdown for around a half hour or more. Otherwise, it can restart without this error message. I cleaned fan, made sure everything was connected properly, and that my BIOS was up to date.

Could there be any more problems?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:17 AM

Double check that the cpu fan is plugged into the cpu fan header on the main board. If the fan is not hitting the correct rpms you may get this error. I would try with a new fan if the current fan is plugged into the header and you receive this message. Sometimes when a fan warms up after running for 10-15 minutes it will run correctly, but on a cold start, it may not hit the correct rpm's. Fans wear out. They are very cheap to replace. All fans have an expected life span.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Tim Brastow

Tim Brastow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:19 PM

I lowered the RPM threshold from 600 to 400 in BIOS, and the problem has gone away. Maybe the fan doesn't fire up fast enough when turn on and causes the motherboard to panic?

I have HWMonitor and it shows the ran consistently staying between 900 and 950 RPM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:33 AM

With cpu fans it is best to let the bios manage the speed. Lowering the speed can cause over heating. Check your temps if you continue to run at a manual setting. You may not have any problems until the cpu is put under a load. My recommendation would be to replace the fan.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users