Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loses Connection At Random

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:49 AM

My router (Linksys wireless-G 2.4ghz model wrk54g) suddenly losses connection to the internet. Well, ok, so my computer does. I try to repair the connection settings via windows, but it can't "renew the IP", so I try restarting my computer-->no help there either. The only way I can get it to start working again is to unplug the router and plug it back in (unplug the AC adapter from the back of the router itself). Then it's fine.

What's weird is that I'll be in the internet doing something, either for a few hours or a few minutes, close firefox, come back a few minutes later (never shutting anything off like the computer or router etc.) and it won't work. I'll get online, check email etc. and it works great. Then, 10 minutes later, it won't work.

Any clue as to what's going on here? I have the security set to none (no neighbors within range to "steal" signal), and I do have everything set up correctly.....so I'm at a loss as to what's causing this :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The Very End

The Very End

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 12:09 PM

Thats almost what I get :thumbsup:
The internett is gone, and I can`t renew my IP.
For me I have to just wait 2 mins, til it get back, but really anoying when it happens every 6 min <.<

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 12:51 PM

It sounds like your service grounding lug it disconnected or you are getting electrical feedback. If your HSI (DSL or Cable) is grounded to the building's main ground with the electical, move it to it's own ground. Even mill-volts can disrupt or degrade your HSI signal.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 07:42 PM

It sounds like your service grounding lug it disconnected or you are getting electrical feedback. If your HSI (DSL or Cable) is grounded to the building's main ground with the electical, move it to it's own ground. Even mill-volts can disrupt or degrade your HSI signal.

Thanks acklan? I had no clue :thumbsup: I never would've thought that? I'll have to check and see how it's grounded. If I have to give it it's own grounding rod, then I'll do it. Shouldn't be to bad.....see if I can't "relocate" an old grounding rod from work :flowers:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:18 PM

When you drive that ground rod, wet the ground with a cup of water and plunge the rod up and down. As it slows down going into the ground add another cup of water while plunging the rod up and down. When the rod goes deeper you may need to add a little more than when you started. If you wish to place the rod under the house start at an angle where you wish it to finish. This technique will only take 1 or 2 minutes to drive a 10 foot ⅝" copper grounding rod.

NOTE: Do no stop until the rod is to the depth you desire. Once you stop you cannot start again. You do not want to lose 5 ft of a rod and have to start over.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:56 PM

have you checked a firmware update yet? there has been issues with the WRT54G router, i know thats not your model, but a lot of times a firmware update helps routers in situations similar to that.
depending on your version of router, here is a link to the firmware dl page for linksys.
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c...FVisitorWrapper
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users