Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help after deleting AOL

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest user

Guest user

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:08 AM

Aloha,

I think that I may have made a serious error when I deleted AOL from my system. The computer, which is a Dell Inspiron 600m with XP pro and Intel inside, was starting to run really slow. A check of the available space on the C: drive showed that the 40GB drive only had about 15% of free space left. So... like any other idiot that didn't know what they were doing, I started deleting programs, including AOL, that hadn't been used in years in an effort to free up space.

Now... I'm not sure if not having AOL installed is the cause of my root problem, which is not being able to load Explorer, but when I think back, it seems that the problem of not being able to load Explorer started right after the deletion AOL.

My question is this, which software disk that was supplied with the computer has the AOL software on it, and is the AOL software buried within another program on that disk? 

The reason I ask is this... I accessed the Dell setup disk and there didn't appear to be a file for AOL.

This computer isn't used much these days, and it had been sitting for several months before firing it up yesterday. It's unfortunate that I made the deletions the last time I used it, because now there is no backup point for system restore to access.  

Kind of in a bind here. I'm trying to get the last of the MS updates before they end support next month.

Thank you for any help, tips, or pointers of which direction I should proceed in order to restore the AOL program on this computer.

Aloha.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:32 PM

XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option - by Fred Langa

Edited by SpywareDoctor, 08 March 2014 - 01:33 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#4 Guest user

Guest user
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:41 AM

Thanks for the replies.
What a nightmare this operation turned out to be. I can't even begin to list the amount of fixes that I tried over the past few days, and nothing worked. Just as my head hit the pillow for what I felt was a well deserved break, a way of getting past whatever was blocking access to the update center came to me, and as hard as it is for me to believe, the idea worked. The fix is really simple, and I'm surprised that it isn't a well known fix.

Using a different computer...download and save the Windows Service pack 3 to a USB flash drive. Place the USB flash drive into the problem computer and open the SP3 file. That's it. The SP3 reloaded itself, and all was well again.

I had 2 computers that had this same issue, and this fix took care of the problem in both of the computers.

What can I say? Good old fashioned dumb luck rides again.

Thanks again for the help guys.

#5 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:01 AM

Didn't realize the goal was to get SP3 installed. But good to hear you got'er done. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users