Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Winfax Pro Situation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TheMorphiuz

TheMorphiuz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:17 AM

I have an issue with Winfax Pro which is installed on several machines in the office. I have one machine set up as a host which is running Windows XP SP2 and all the client machines run Windows 98SE.

The Host is able to receive and send faxes fine. I can send faxes from the client machines although on the client machines it gives a "Failed" report and on the "Host" it reports success. The client machines know when faxes come in but just come up with an error "Winfax Pro is unable to connect to the Winfax Pro Host station called XXXXXX. Cannot check for received events".
I have sorted out the RPC issue according to instructions found on several sites following a Google search but I can't find any mention of this issue and it's really starting to bug me!

Thanks in advance

Simon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheMorphiuz

TheMorphiuz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:50 AM

Anybody able to help on this?
I can send faxes from the other stations, although on those stations it does report failed, they log as being sent successfully at the host.

Edited by TheMorphiuz, 01 June 2006 - 09:52 AM.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:15 AM

Hi TheMorphiuz.
I see after a couple weeks you're still battling this? :thumbsup:
Not sure where you are after viewing your second post from the first, or even what version of WFP you're using but I'll give it a shot anyway.
In your first post you where getting a "Winfax Pro is unable to connect to the Winfax Pro Host station" error message. I ran across a thread where a user was getting the same message and symantec had sent this article via e-mail which seemed to solve the problem. On the same page, if you click the link to the 10.04 update (which btw you can't use due to mixed NTFS & FAT systems), there is a couple more links at the very bottom that may prove useful.

For your second post, see the article below:

Successful fax appears as failed event in the WinFax PRO Send log

All I know about WFP, which isn't much, is all the client and host systems must have the same version installed.
You should also be able to ping them all as well. Don't know if you've been there yet or not.

Edited by HitSquad, 01 June 2006 - 11:25 AM.

#4 TheMorphiuz

TheMorphiuz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 05:01 AM

I've got Winfax Pro 10.02 on my Windows 98 machine (have just reinstalled it again) and 10.02 on the Windows XP Pro machine. I have done the trick with the 10.04 patch where you install WFP, patch to 10.04, uninstall keeping the RPC settings, reinstall just 10.02.

I can ping between all machines and the WFP client can see the host, it just refuses to connect completely, it will bring the message up at startup when the tray utility loads and whenever a fax comes in on the host.

I'm in Norfolk in the UK btw.

#5 TheMorphiuz

TheMorphiuz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:11 AM

Problem fixed.

I remember last time I looked at the DCOM settings on Windows XP it wouldn't let me add "Anonymous Logon" for some reason so I chose "Everyone" instead. I tried it again and it worked...

Cheers for your reply HitSquad. :thumbsup:

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:36 AM

Good work TheMorphiuz, thanks for posting back with your solution. :thumbsup:

#7 cjhowe

cjhowe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 05:54 PM

I realize this is an old topic, but all of the solutions posted elsewhere left me with a setup still not working. I wanted to post the solution I finally stumbled upon for others. If the symnaptec link does not work and you have the error listed by the OP try the following:

1. Run Winfax Pro as the first Administrator created (I don't know why it is this way, but the 2nd and 3rd created administrator accounts did not work).
2. Create a user on the client computer with the same user name/password as the first Administrator (you do not need to be logged in on the client computer as the newly created user name, it just has to be present).

Following those two steps brought my Winfax Pro into working order over the network.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users