Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Better career path?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 HighDrama

HighDrama

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:12 PM

Hello everyone. I wanted to ask for some advice on what career path is better. I'm currently a Sr Helpdesk tech. I've been offered 2 positions. One is for a Helpdesk Supervisor or I have an offer to be a Systems Administrator. Ideally I would like to have a leadership position as I progress through my career but I also fear being pigeon hold to helpdesk. In our company, the helpdesk doesn't really have a lot of access. Our access is limited to AD as account operators. Any issues we can't solve client side/locally, we escalate to the systems or network teams. 

I'm torn here. I would love to remain in a leadership role as a helpdesk supervisor and even maybe a helpdesk manager at some point but I also feel that my career in IT would be better benefited by being a System Admin and really learning all the backend stuff that I currently have no visibility to right now. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by HighDrama, 07 March 2014 - 09:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 easyrider2

easyrider2

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:55 AM

Hi HighDrama,

it all depends ;)

Ask yourself a question where would you like to be in next 5 years career-wise. To me, it seems that gaining more experience either in systems or networking team may benefit you more as you will continue to learn new skills and widen your expertise. If you prove yourself in this, there also may be opportunities for leadership position later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users