Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's the time on BC?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:32 PM

Posting time on BC is beginning to confuse me !

I will swear that once upon a time all times given in posts were expressed as one standard time zone. Then there was a change to the situation that other posts were timed as what seemed to be a standardised zone but your own post, when you wrote it, had your local time on it.

Now every post seems to have the local time of its writing assigned to it which, since most posters do not even state the country they live in, makes it more than a little difficult to assess how much time has passed between a post and a reply. It is to say the least disconcerting to see an OP timed at 0600 and the first reply timed at 0430 !

I know this is an international forum, with members from most of the World's countries, but I think a standardised time clock would be to everyone's benefit. It does not, of course, have to be either GMT or EST. How about Vatican time, Beijing, or, in honour of the many correspondents from our former colony, Western Australian Time ? You could even consider Central Scotland Time !

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 07 March 2014 - 07:33 PM.

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:39 PM

You set the time in your profile for the posts. Right now I have mine set to GMT and all my posts show up as GMT.

timesettings_bc.png

Edited by cryptodan, 07 March 2014 - 07:41 PM.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:36 AM

Hello Chris,

What you'll see at the top of the post is the time for when that post was made according to YOUR local time.  Now, if a post is quoted within another post, you'll then see the local time of the quoter of the quoted post for when that post was made.

Underneath the poster's avatar is where you'll see the member's current local time.  That has nothing to do with the time stamps, as  you see them, of when the posts were written.  It may be helpful for you to know that if it's the middle of the night by the poster's local time, chances are, he/she won't be replying soon unless he/she is a night owl.

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:58 PM

Hi O.B.- and All -

Just a quick question as to all the recent changes (Times / On line / and who knows what is next) it is becoming a bit too much like BigBrother is constantly watching me.

Since these changes I have now made a point of going "incognito" unless I care to reply to a topic. If I still can after today.

(1 Anon member) or whatever ...... I did think the time was a nice idea, (you could basically pick the world areas) but now telling all if you are here (and not down the pub where you should be) is taking it a bit much.

Why not make it compulsory to add Male / Female and Full Country / City in your name (even if you do not want to)

I am from Australia and I list my state, so I consider that is more than enough information for me to volunteer.

We currently have several real WARS in several countries, that do not need to be identified (we generally know) so if a person is a Rebel or Government supporter do we need that information ??

I just thought relative Time was more than enough

I can understand that some people may think it is a good idea, but you are already listed in Members, and if you hover over it you are even told the topic that is being viewed.

Your name was always any topic you were viewing, and in Italics if currently posting.

Very happy that you are trying to make forward Ground breaking steps, but please draw the line somewhere.

Only my thoughts on the improved changes.

#5 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:31 AM

Posting time on BC is beginning to confuse me !

Me too!

This is some what disconcerting:
BC_Time_Display.jpg
Seems like the post was made 12hrs.- 9min. in the future. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users