Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Security Center

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 borlou11

borlou11

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:31 PM

Hello,

I have Windows XP Home SP3 and ESET NOD32 antivirus. Yesterday, I had this "Windows Security Center" opened with the firewall off and recommending to put it on. Even though I declined, it still put it on. Later, it dawn on me that I seem to have read something in Bleeping Computer about this Windows Security Center. I checked and discovered it was a malware. So I followed Bleeping Computer instructions: 

1. I downloaded "Autoruns.exe" but couldn't find the file name " winmgr.exe" for Windows Security Center.

2. I scanned with ESET NOD32. Nothing.

3. I scanned with Malwarebytes Anti-malware. Nothing.

4. I scanned with Superantispyware Free Edition. Apart 78 cookies which I deleted, nothing.

As instructed, I would appreciate for further directions in order to get rid of this malware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

So you have ESET NOD32 and not ESET Smart Security.It is only antivirus and that`s why Windows want to put Windows Firewall.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:32 PM

Windows Security Center is the XP app to check your systems security.

The malware is called Windows Security Center.
Contains this file winmgr.exe and is located here
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winmgr.exe
If you do not see it then you do not have that infection.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 borlou11

borlou11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:43 PM

I have a Linksys WIFI Router that has an integrated firewall. Do I need another firewall ?

After taking the option of showing hidden files in "My computer", I made a search under "system 32" and found nothing. I made then a search under "Windows" and found nothing. Finally, I made a search under "C:\" and found the following:

C:\Documents & Settings\Owner\LocalSettings\Temporary Internet Files\winmgr.exe-22843.html

I suspect this is the result of my search for "Windows Security Center" in Bleeping Computer.

So it seems this means I have no malware and the Windows Security Center is legitimate ?

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:05 PM

No, only one hardware firewall (the router) and a software firewall, eg Windows firewall.

But in XP that is not really a strong one. Better to add either Comodo or Online Armor firewall.

That said you also need to set the router security properly.

For more info on doing this ask in Networking.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 borlou11

borlou11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:48 PM

Thank you ! I will follow your suggestions. Have a good day !

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:11 PM

You're welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users