Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Firewall/ICS service cannot start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Magdalena

Magdalena

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

Been cleaning up an older computer and recently this problem has turned up:

Windows Firewall is not on and in an attempt to turn it on it responds with

"Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service?"

I click "Yes" and it says "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service."

So far I have tried Method 1 and 2 on Microsoft's page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920074
   (Even though this did not start due to a SP2 installation)

Reinstalled SP3 (I have not reinstalled SP2 specifically since SP3 usually covered that) <---If thats the issue then shame on me.

I have also tried cmd >Netsh winsock reset (Recommendation from another forum)

I have tried starting the 'Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)' in Administrative Tools > Services > Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) which does say stop. This comes      back with "Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer. Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified."

I'm assuming this is the current cause of the internet not working on the computer as well. I've done alot of work on the computer and if needed I can list all that I've done so far. This current problem I have not been able to solve myself and it started after running Malware bytes and removing everything it found.

May not need to be said but the system is a Windows XP 32bit. Anything else you need to know just ask. Also If I need to repeat anything I've already done due to a missed step or whatever, I'm glad to do it.

Edited by Magdalena, 07 March 2014 - 04:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Magdalena

Magdalena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:09 PM

Update on this system, the guy ran a Windows Repair after all this and now we have a BSOD after the Windows loading screen, code 0x07E, and computer restarts. When booting into Safe Mode I get "Windows XP Setup cannot run under Safe Mode. Setup will restart now."

#3 Magdalena

Magdalena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:48 PM

Well this system has been reformatted since time was not something they had. It solved the problem but in an aggressive way. Sorry we couldn't work this out better to help someone in the future.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 48,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:16 PM

Sorry for the delayed response but Staff and Security Experts are all volunteers. This site receives hundreds of requests for help every day. Sometimes a topic will get overlooked when requests for assistance get backed up and not responded to in a timely manner.

Although reformatting is an aggressive solution, sometimes its really the best option when troubleshoot takes too long or does not resolve the problem.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users