Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Office 2003 in W7 risky?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Magic Sam

Magic Sam

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:54 PM

Will I be exposed after April if I upgrade from XP to W7 but continue to run Office 2003 in the latter?

I have received notifications from Avast saying that if I move my browser to Chrome (I already have) I will continue to get XP updates.  The implication is that I have nothing to fear from doing nothing.  Sounds too good to be true.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:14 PM

I think is better after going on Windows 7 to run Office 2010 or higher.Because you must run Office 2003 in compatible mode with XP.You will not receive updates after Microsoft stop creating them.

Edited by Alex&Vanko, 07 March 2014 - 04:19 PM.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:16 PM

What Avast means when they say you will continue to get updates, is they will provide anti-virus updates. They cannot provide Windows system updates as Windows is a closed source proprietary OS. No-one can do that except for Microsoft. Don't believe the hype.

It's time to upgrade, or crossgrade.

#4 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

"I think is better after going on Windows 7 to run Office 2010 or higher."

I was told that only Office 2003 might be affected.  If so then changing to Office 2007 would be OK (?)

"What Avast means when they say you will continue to get updates, is they will provide anti-virus updates"

If this is all they mean then it is particularly devious since I have always received AV updates from Avast.  The implication of their statement was specifically that by moving to Chrome there would be some effect that was not there previously - that I would get security updates (from / via Chrome not Avast).  Very confusing.

#5 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:55 PM

Change as I recommend.I am not going to comment Avast.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

I was told that only Office 2003 might be affected.  If so then changing to Office 2007 would be OK (?)

Upgrade to 2013 version, don't line yourself up for more trouble...

If this is all they mean then it is particularly devious since I have always received AV updates from Avast.  The implication of their statement was specifically that by moving to Chrome there would be some effect that was not there previously - that I would get security updates (from / via Chrome not Avast).  Very confusing.

Yes, it is a nasty slight of hand. At least you have some clarity on the situation now.

#7 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:47 PM

The problem is that I don't like the more recent versions of Office, least of all 2103, and I would only upgrade if there was an identifiable security risk with a particuiar older version.  The news up to now has been focused on the withdrawal of support for XP, not Office as far as I am aware.

#8 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

The problem is that I don't like the more recent versions of Office, least of all 2103,

So do I,but...

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:57 PM

sadly many people like XP also... it's just like that.

http://www.zdnet.com/office-2003-soon-to-lose-support-too-7000019917/

#10 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:32 PM

Most interesting article link, thanks.  Interesting to see that my feelings about the ribbon are shared by others.  I don't know all Office versions but I get the impression that Office 2010 (or Office 365 - new one on me, never heard of it) is the least worst alternative / upgrade to 2003.  Are these still available at sensible prices apart from at [UK] car boot sales?

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:42 PM

Some people are shedding Office altogether, and moving over to Open Office. It doesn't 'look' as nice, but it functions perfectly. The price is right too.

#12 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:50 PM

I toyed with Open and Libre Office and eventually went for the latter - briefly because it didn't seem to be fully compatible with .xls files. Old habits die hard.

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:58 PM

I use Libre on my Debian system, I wasn't aware it was available on Win too... very stable applications.

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:07 PM

Microsoft Office 365 Home Premium, Office 365 University & & Office Home and Student 2013 

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/cat/Office/categoryID.62684700?tid=5pm5KsH9&cid=5250&pcrid=2017708677&WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=pointitsem_Microsoft+US_bing_5+-+Office+15+Suites&WT.source=bing&WT.medium=cpc

Note the subscription factor:.Office 365 Home Premium cost for each and every year and is licensed for 5 computers

Office Home and Student 2013 is a one-time cost

I still use Microsoft Office 2000 and with the Microsoft Compatibility Pack I do not have a problem interacting with the approximately 200 volunteers and appropriate agencies that the non-profit organization works with

The other recommendations are fine especially for the price; however, the Office 2000 program was about $100 - $120 when I got it and for 12 years usage that's a pretty good ROI

#15 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:17 PM

Tks for the link.  As you say Home & Student 2013 looks the better value for 1 PC over > 1 year. I suspect that Office 2010 is no longer on official sale?

Before I changed computer :( I had a link to a download that converted the dreaded ribbon back into the logical drop down file format, composed by someone in Switzerland from what I can remember.  Regrettably I never got round to installing and testing it (on Office 2007) and can't remember where it was - and if it would work with other versions also. If anyone recognizes this and/or has experience to report, please shout.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users