Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDMI to VGA problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dylabong93

Dylabong93

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:01 PM

Hi,

I recently purchased a new laptop, a Lenovo U410 IdeaPad running Windows 8, and overlooked the fact that it has no VGA slot, only HDMI. This would have been grand were it not for the fact that my monitor, a HP 2159v, doesn't have a HDMI slot and can only use a VGA cable. I ordered a HDMI to VGA adapter from amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CH07AC2/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0) and it appeared to work fine at first. However when I tried to stream videos on Netflix or YouTube there were serious problems with buffering. Initially Netflix wouldn't even work and kept displaying a Microsoft Silverlight error screen despite the fact that I uninstalled and reinstalled it several times. I can only stream YouTube videos smoothly at low quality, around 240 or 144p. Both of these problems are immediately resolved when I remove the adapter and revert to the laptop screen. I can play high quality movies from my hard drive without any such difficulties so it seems to struggle only with streaming videos. I have tried downloading up-to-date drivers for the monitor but the problem still persists. Any ideas as to what may be causing the problem or how it can be fixed? Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:55 PM

The problem probably lies within the adapter, it has to actively convert digital to analogue using some built in chipset and may not be fast enough for video, something like this: http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-VGA-converter-Audio-Converter/dp/B003O55U8K might be faster with specs like this: Support 165MHz/1.65Gbps per channel (6.75Gbps all channel) bandwidth for HDMI Input. I still do not know if this is fast enough for full 1080p video or not... Maybe someone else can add something. The converters I used to buy were around $120 and were bigger boxes but they did do video just fine, I was unable to locate those boxes anymore, probably because most people opt for a usb 3.0 to vga adapter instead: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-External-2048x1152-Graphics-USB32VGAE/dp/B006DJ5E08/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1394225492&sr=1-12&keywords=HDMI+to+VGA+converter

That adapter I posted has bad reviews about not including a power adapter, but something similar which is faster than your current adapter might help with video.

Edited by zingo156, 07 March 2014 - 04:14 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:54 AM

probably because most people opt for a usb 3.0 to vga adapter instead: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-External-2048x1152-Graphics-USB32VGAE/dp/B006DJ5E08/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1394225492&sr=1-12&keywords=HDMI+to+VGA+converter

Or maybe they just buy a new monitor that has HDMI or DVI inputs. By the time one spends about $60 for the USB adapter, it is only about $40 more for a new 21" monitor at the low end of the price spectrum.

I will note that one should be a little careful with USB graphics adapters. Since they don't use the graphics system of the computer but rather one built into the adapter, they can get bogged down (or outright not work) with graphically intensive tasks. This can include 1080p video. I use a USB adapter to add a third screen to my MacBook Pro. It is fine for web browsing, email, etc, but freaks out for heavier duty tasks…so I use the internal screen or the monitor connected to MiniDisplay port for those things. Granted, my adapter is only a USB 2.0 adapter, so it is possible that USB 3.0 adapters might be better. I will also note that if the video is HDCP protected, then it will likely not work with a USB graphics adapter. This is certainly true of any iTunes Store movies/TV shows.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:20 AM

I agree with smax013 here, if you are going to spend the money on a usb to vga adapter, your money would likely be better spent on a newer monitor that supports hdmi. The newer 3.0 usb to vga adapters are better, but still not as fast as your main boards video chipset and can fall behind on video intensive tasks and cause lag. Because newer led monitors are very cheap: usually around $149 - $200 or under for 22-24 inch screens (some can go as low as $99 or less), this would probably be the better route to take.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

Another thing that may be a factor is copy protection.  The HDMI out may support HDCP going from HDMI to VGA will break HDCP.

Edited by RKilroy, 10 March 2014 - 02:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users