Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Website blocks me when using a VPN?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

Hi everyone

I'm trying to access a website called the politicsforum.org. I think they have a rule about not using proxies/VPNs or something when using the site to stop people making more than one account. So my questions are can websites detect you are using a VPN(I'm pretty certain they are because I can use the site fine when my VPN is turned off)? Is there any way to get around the block?

I don't really want to break the rules of the site, I want to use the site like anyone else but I value my privacy at the same time especially when talking about politics over the internet.

Thanks for reading

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,511 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

If the site does in fact have a policy that prevents use of VPN's then we can't help you. There is a reason they decided to institute that policy if it exists. You should work with he site to find a compromise. And yes there is a way to know when a VPN or Proxy is used.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

I'm not trying to do anything illegal, I just want to access a free to use forum and preserve my privacy at the same time. I don't see why I can't get help to do that but whatever.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,511 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

I never said you were doing anything illegal. I said we can't help you bypass measures instituted at another site. If you have issues using another site you need to work with that site first.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 sajidali27

sajidali27

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:27 AM

If you are not doing any illegal then why they blocked you .... if the vpn is block then there is no way to get around the block? are you using free vpn ? Try some browser extension like Hola for firefox or Zenmate for Chrome and create new account with new email address...

#6 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:10 AM

Are you using an US based VPN where the servers all reside in the US, or are you using a national VPN where the servers are wide spread?

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users