Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Uninstall Fonts?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Merlin's Mom

Merlin's Mom

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 07:37 AM

Hi--I have some chinese fonts that downloaded with a web page and I no longer need them. I've tried just deleting the files and this worked for a couple but I have a few that when I try to delete them I get an error message:

"cannot delete mingliu: access denied
make sure disk is not full or write-protected and that the
file is currently not in use"

I'm pretty sure I'm not using this font anywhere and I don't understand the part about the disk being full.
Can anyone help?
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:45 AM

Hi Merlins Mom.
By "downloaded with a webpage" do you mean you installed the Chinese language package?
There are two versions, simplified and traditional.
You are usually prompted first. In any case, the fonts "are in use". Either by IE, Office, Word, etc.
Take a look at these fonts at tell me if they're the ones your attempting to remove.
I've got take off for a while but here's a few places to start.
1. Add\remove (but I don't believe it'll be there).
2. In IE, Tools>Manage Add-ons. Probably not there either but if it is, select it, then select disable,select ok.
3. In IE, View>Encoding.
4. Control Panel>Regional and Language Options> Advanced Tab. Deselect any Chinese from list, Click ok.
5. Right click stubborn font and select properties. Remove any checks from 'attributes" if there, click ok.
6. You can try via safe mode though I wouldn't expect much. Might be worth a shot however.
If you still can't remove them, a brief list of installed software may help.
Just a note but leaving the fonts on there doesn't really hurt anything and takes up no room.

#3 Merlin's Mom

Merlin's Mom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 05:42 PM

Yes, I did mean I downloaded a language pack, couldn't think how to phrase it before. And thanks for the tips, the control panel one worked. Thanks for coming to my rescue once again. :thumbsup:

Edited by Merlin's Mom, 15 May 2006 - 05:44 PM.

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:38 AM

You're welcome. :thumbsup:
If you ever get the prompt again, just click cancel. The page itself should render fine.
With XP and IE6 you really shouldn't need any language packs for surfing.
Older versions of IE (4\5 )and Windows (95\98) sometimes required the language packs to display the font correctly. And if you can read chinese, my hat's off to you. :flowers:
English, French and a little Spanish (very little) is my limit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users