Hi Merlins Mom.
By "downloaded with a webpage" do you mean you installed the Chinese language package?
There are two versions, simplified and traditional.
You are usually prompted first. In any case, the fonts "are in use". Either by IE, Office, Word, etc.
Take a look at these fonts
at tell me if they're the ones your attempting to remove.
I've got take off for a while but here's a few places to start.
1. Add\remove (but I don't believe it'll be there).
2. In IE, Tools>Manage Add-ons. Probably not there either but if it is, select it, then select disable,select ok.
3. In IE, View>Encoding.
4. Control Panel>Regional and Language Options> Advanced Tab. Deselect any Chinese from list, Click ok.
5. Right click stubborn font and select properties. Remove any checks from 'attributes" if there, click ok.
6. You can try via safe mode though I wouldn't expect much. Might be worth a shot however.
If you still can't remove them, a brief list of installed software may help.
Just a note but leaving the fonts on there doesn't really hurt anything and takes up no room.