Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TCPIP.SYS file limits network queue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 22 November 2004 - 10:59 AM

Can anyone tell me if this is something that is known to be true? I was just wondering if it was something I needed to do..OK all you experts. Discuss this amongst yourselves. LOL

.... if anyone has Windows XP Home or Professional and has SP2 (Service Pack 2) the TCPIP.SYS file has limited your network queue to 10 connections no matter what other tweaks in other areas you have done. this will make a modem feel slower and broadband feel like a modem after a few minutes of multitasking. I found a fixer for this, AVG scanned by the one who supplied it to me and AVAST scanned by me. Applied to my XP Pro SP2 system, and wow! the difference it made in all my downloads and connections on the web. email me if you have need of this and I will zip it up (it is only 32KB to start with) and send it to you.

xpsp2tcpipfix.exe is the name of the file, it replaces the SP2 TCPIP.SYS file and ups the queue limit to 50

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 22 November 2004 - 11:43 AM

Thanks Pandy for sharing! :thumbsup:

I would be more then happy to give it a shot, and will post back my findings. Feel free to e-mail it me, via the link here.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 22 November 2004 - 02:31 PM

Yes, thanks for this Pandy.

I'm sure lots of ppl would benifit from this.......I just wish I had "B/Band"....email it to me anyway please, then I will apply it when I do upgrade to it, some time in the next couple of months.

Thanks

JTH :thumbsup:
JTH

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 22 November 2004 - 02:39 PM

Check you out pandy girl! I kinda wish I had Xp w/ SP2 just so I could try this. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 22 November 2004 - 02:45 PM

I'm into trial & error... send me it, please. My dialup has been fairly consistant so I could probably determine easily if it makes a difference. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#6 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2004 - 02:49 PM

http://www.lvllord.de/

download patch (zip file). unzip. run. it opens a command (msdos) window, say "y" to replace the limited file, then when sucessful, any key exits. XP will now ask for your xp cd cuz a very important file has been replaced, choose "cancel" cuz you DO want to do this, then in the next xp window, click "yes", cuz you just told it, and now it it confirming. Keep the zip file safe somewhere, because if you get updated by service packs, security updates, or if your run sfc/scannow, this file will revert to the limited one and you'll have to run the procedure again.

I would like to say that I just found this and wondered about it. This fix here and link I posted is not something I checked out myself. :flowers: :thumbsup:

LMAO... OK I am gonna try it out myself. It sounds easy enough.

Edited by Pandy, 22 November 2004 - 02:51 PM.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#7 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2004 - 02:56 PM

It's on my desktop. BTW, I now (finally) have it down pat how to zip compress files to email, and have some for you, too. Pandy, you'll have MAIL!

#8 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2004 - 03:15 PM

OK.. I clicked that link and downloaded the TCPIP.SYS thing that was there and it was a Windows Update. I downloaded it to my desktop expecting it would be zipped up. It wasn't tho and it installed itself. I am not sure what that was all about. It was not as described above.. with the MSDOS command thing. I didn't have to do that. *sigh* I don't know what it was all about. It just appeared to be a Windows update.

Er.. I just realized.. I dowloaded that using my Firefox, I thought you couldn't do Windows Updates thru Firefox???

Edited by Pandy, 22 November 2004 - 03:17 PM.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#9 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 22 November 2004 - 04:52 PM

I down load from M$ all the time using my Firefox. Manually - of course.

Microsoft Download Center for browsers other than IE
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#10 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2004 - 04:58 PM

microsoft.com/downloads
Was this the page you got, Pandy? I tried to duplicate your steps. First I got this, and noted the page was "v4", noted because I get "v5" going in with IE. v5 indicates you have downloaded the applet ( or activeX ) in the past and probably done so in the newer IE than they identify when you use Firefox. Then I "linked" to the page above. I chose a download (from the 45 available, it appears) one that I do not presently have... since it is optional and I don't need it due to the fact I don't buy online nor need sites that require .net passports. (yet, maybe). I got this typical download confirmation dialog box. Still haven't moved on the plan to try & out the above "TCPIP.SYS file limits network queue, Is this true?" challenge. Patience is a virtue, they say. :thumbsup:
But, it is possible to use firefox even in this way. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users