Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Twitter help

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 biferi

biferi

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

I do not know if this is the right place to ask this so just know I am not trying to Miss Use this WebSite.

I have wached a lot of videos on YouTube about Twitter and I jut Joined.

I am Fallowing one of the Actresses on the AMC TV Show The Walking Dead.

Now I know people Tweet them and they reply to them and so on.

So I am Fallowing this Actress and I gave her a Tweet but I do not know if I am doing it right because.

When you Log Into Twitter on your Home screen how do you see if anyone replyed to your Tweet?

Do you have to go back to there Home Page and lookup the Tweet you gave them?

Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:57 AM

Hi biferi. Welcome to BC!  :welcome:

The @Home page shows your 'feed' and all the tweets of the people you follow.

Yes, you should see the tweet from the actress in your feed. 

Just FYI, because of the large amount of followers and popularity of celebrities, if a celebrity were to tweet to you or even retweet one of your tweets, you will definitely know it. The fans that follow the celebrity will start to tweet to you and Retweet (RT) the celebrity tweet, so you would see many replies and tweets in your feed....just the nature of fans and how twitter works. 

It is generally very hard to get a reply or a retweet from a celebrity. This is because they sometimes have millions of followers. That means that what THEY see in their feed is hundreds and hundreds of tweets to them by the minute, they would not have time to read all of them.

You should definitely keep trying and keep tweeting to them. :)

Twitter will also suggest other similar people or fans for you to start following, and you can connect with others who share your interest that way. 

You can also see activity for your account my clicking on @Connect next to the @Home button. @Connect will display things like new followers or people who have favorited or retweeted one of your tweets. 

You also should check your settings to make sure you will receive an email notification whenever someone tweets to you.  Under settings is email notifications...go look at those settings when you get a chance. Settings are opened by clicking on the gear icon at the top right of the screen. 

Good luck! 

Edited by Stolen, 07 March 2014 - 12:01 PM.

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:58 AM

If you are following someone on Twitter, you will see any replies to you. However, there are two things to keep in mind about celebrities on Twitter. It is not unusual for celebrities to not tweet personally and have a rep handle Twitter for them. In other words, they need to be on Twitter but don't want to deal with it personally. The other thing is there are plenty of phony celeb accounts. Twitter authenticates celeb accounts with a blue checkmark. If that isn't there, it is probably phony.

#4 L1NGUS

L1NGUS

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

A couple more suggestions:

You can receive notifications via email for replies and retweets and many other Twitter actions: https://support.twitter.com/articles/127860-updating-your-email-preferences.

If you have a mobile you can receive SMS push notifications sent right to your phone: https://support.twitter.com/articles/129550-managing-your-mobile-notification-preferences.

#5 biferi

biferi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:21 AM

OK 2 things.

The first thing is I did get a Tweet from somebody and the e mail came to me to tell me.

But it looked goffy and goofy words.

But when I go to my Twitter account and Log In and click Connect Tab I do not see the Tweet I just got.

The sedond thing is.

What kind of Blue Check mark is on the Home Page of a real celeb?

What do I look for?

#6 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:30 AM

biferi, 

I can answer all your questions. Give me a little time to get back with you on a more in-depth explanation with some images and instructions. 

#7 biferi

biferi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:43 AM

Thank you I will wait for you to help me.

#8 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:01 PM

I am going to try and answer all your questions as best I can. Please feel free to ask if you don’t understand or have more questions that come up.

Please check your own Twitter Settings to ensure you are set to ‘public’ and not ‘private.’

Regarding the tweet that you got in your email that is not readable, I would need to see it to really understand why. If you do not see the tweet in @Connect, is it possible that it was sent to you as a Direct Message from someone else who also follows you? Check your Direct Messages (let me know if you do not know how).

Sometimes people on twitter use ascii code to communicate with symbols, especially if they don’t speak English. Some of these symbols may not display correctly on your computer, in your email or your device depending several factors including the app or program you are using for twitter, or even which fonts you have installed on your computer. Maybe you can ask one of your friends to send you a tweet to test what is really going on. 

I would like elaborate on a few things regarding celebrity Twitter accounts, and I will use the @LaurenCohan account as an example to illustrate my points below: 

If you want to view the tweets the actress is getting from other people, you can enter @LaurenCohan in the search bar as shown:

laurencohen-twitter-feed.jpg

This will give you an idea of how many tweets she gets at any time. The image above is a sample of tweets TO @LaurenCohan.

On your own feed (Home page), you should see all the tweets of the people who you follow whenever they tweet. If you only follow one person, you will only see her tweets on your feed.

As long as you are using the @ sign and entering her name in your tweet like this: @LaurenCohan when you tweet to her, then yes, your tweet will go to her feed. That does not necessarily mean she will literally 'see' it, but anytime she views her feed or opens the @Connect, she can see all tweets to her, not just yours. That means she will see A LOT of tweets since she is a celebrity.  

@LaurenCohan is a Verified account on Twitter. This means that Twitter has established the authenticity of the account, and this account belongs to the actress who plays Maggie on the Walking Dead. Verified accounts on twitter display the blue badge shown in the image below.

laurencohen-twitter-verified-account-ima

In the case of Lauren Cohan, she has over 409,000 followers. Since celebrities are busy and because they have so many followers, it is likely they may not be able to take the time to read and reply to every single tweet that is sent to them. This is not because they are not looking or anything is wrong with how you are tweeting. It is sheer numbers.

To give you an idea, she would have to sit and read her twitter feed all day and just keep scrolling through all her tweets to be able to see all the tweets that come to her, and by the time she is done, there would be many more new ones waiting at the top of her feed. In reality, it is pure hit and miss, they happen to log in, read a few tweets, whatever is displaying at that moment on their feed. She may see something she can quickly reply to or RT when she can.

I believe most celebrities try very hard to keep in touch with fans and do their best, but they usually are not able to reply to everyone.

A few suggestions to consider:

-Choose your timing.

-Tweet at times when there is less activity on her feed (ie. not while the show is being aired on Sunday nights) because everyone will be tweeting to her at that time

-Tweet to her right after she tweets because you know she is on twitter then

-Avoid spamming celebrities by sending thousands of the same tweet or replying to every tweet they make. You don’t want to annoy them…just be polite, original and sincere and ask legitimate questions about the show or about her or share something that you are interested in as well (example: @LaurenCohen do you play any zombie games? #WalkingDeadBG)

-Keep  trying and keep your tweets interesting and varied

-Research and learn how to use hashtags (example: #TheWalkingDead). You may also use the Twitter Search to look up different hashtags

Here is one more tip from Twitter regarding engaging with popular accounts such as celebrities and actresses:  

Remember: These users often have lots of followers and may not be able to respond to every @ reply or direct message sent to them; try to make your Tweets to them engaging, direct, and to the point. If you don't hear back, it's not personal.

Lastly, for more information on using twitter and tweeting, see How to Connect  

Please let me know how it is going or if you have questions about anything specifically. 

#9 biferi

biferi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:42 PM

Thank you for all the help I just went into my Twitter settings and put a check mark in Let People Find Me By E Mail.

But I do not see anything for set account to Public?

And how did you knoe I was looking up Lauren Cohan on Twitter?

I told you I was looking up and Actress on The Walking Dead and there is I think 3 Weman.

#10 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:59 PM

Your tweets are public automatically if you do not check the box "Protect my Tweets."

That box is found under Settings > Security and Privacy (just leave the box unchecked).

And how did you knoe I was looking up Lauren Cohan on Twitter?

I did not know...I picked her first as an example since I also watch the show. 

#11 biferi

biferi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:57 PM

Can I ask are you on Twitter maybe we can talk about the show on there?

You are helping me a lot thank you.

#12 biferi

biferi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:18 PM

Ok I know how to Fallow somebody and how to put a Tweet up on my Page.

Now if I am Fallowing somebody but they are not Falling me I can not send them a direct Tweet but I can Tweet them on there Page right??

Now if they reply to my Tweet I know I should get an e mail telling me.

But on YouTube they say it will go in my Feed on my Home Page.

I do not get this do they meen if somebody replie to my Tweet and I go to my Home Page and click Tweets I see a list of Tweets I sent out.

Will the reply be here?

#13 _dan

_dan

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:33 AM

Your twitter account could get flagged as spam if you're excessively tweeting to people who don't follow you (if its a new account, at least.) If that happens, its possible that the other twitter user won't even see what was tweeted to them because it was silently filtered. 

Reply to someone's tweet, then open up that status in another browser to see if your response is there. 

Also, celebrities (or their reps!) get fans and responses all the time so I wouldn't expect them to be interested in an obsessed fan. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users