Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excessive Processes: explorer.exe, iexplore.exe, svhchost.exe, dllhost.exe

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jrturnerxln

jrturnerxln

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

Over the past week or so I've noticed that my laptop (running Windows XP) has been running extremely slow.  Upon review of active processes in task manager, I notice several occurrences of explorer.exe, chrome.exe, iexplore.exe, svhchost.exe, dllhost.exe, etc., even when I don't have a browser open.  Our 3rd party IT support professionals have attempted to remove the viruses/malware that seem to be affecting my machine.  They have run rskill, combofix and Malwarebytes on consecutive days.

The system seems to run better for a few hours and then, without warning, the system will come to a near stand-still.  I keep having websites pop-up on my screen even when I don’t have a browser open.

The only way for me to actually get back to the application(s) that I’m working on (Word, Excel, Acad, Adobe, Outlook, etc.) is to go to the task manager and select “Switch To” making sure the application that I desire is highlighted.  There is no way to minimize the ads when they pop-up.  They simply freeze my screen.  This becomes necessary in order for me to save anything that I may be working on when the ads pop-up.  A system re-boot is my only option after saving my files.

Our IT support professionals want to re-format my hard drive which I prefer not to do for obvious reasons.

I realize that my machine and operating system (XP) are dated but that shouldn’t change the fact that whatever spyware or anti-virus software that is being used to monitor my system isn’t doing a sufficient job.  I don't want to spend $1k on a new system and continue to have these problems.

Is there any other malware/spyware software that can be used to find what’s ailing my system?

Sincere Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:48 AM

If you want a more detailed look at your system, then more advanced tools are needed to investigate as many of the tools we use in this forum are not capable of detecting (repairing/removing) all malware variants. Before that can be done you will need to create and post a DDS log for further investigation.

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.
  • If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create two logs. (Note: Windows 8.1 Users will not be able run DDS and create a log)
When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs, then still start the new topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. Since you already ran Combofix, its log should be thoroughly reviewed by trained experts in order to ascertain what was detected/removed. A log should have been created and saved to the root directory, usually C:\ComboFix.txt. Include the ComboFix log in your new topic along with the DDS logs. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can closed this one.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 jrturnerxln

jrturnerxln
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

Bleepin' Janitor,

Thanks for your response.  I attempted to download the DDS executable file using the DDS Tool Download Link.  After attempting to download, a dialog box opened that said "DDS, Doesn't Do Squat" and then the download terminated.

I was finally able to save DDS.com to my desktop and was able to run the file.  However, only the attach.txt file was created.  I performed a search of my entire C: drive and DDS.txt could not be found.

I then decided to run DDS.com again but this time only checked the box for DDS.txt hoping that the file would be created.  My attempt was unsuccessful.  I again saw the same dialogue box open, "DDS, Doesn't Do Squat" and then the download terminated.  Shortly thereafter, I got "The Blue Screen of Death".  I"ve since logged back in and tried re-running DDS.com.  No luck creating DDS.txt.

Any suggestions?

Edited by jrturnerxln, 10 March 2014 - 01:51 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:37 PM

If you cannot get DDS to work, please try this instead.

Please download RSIT by random/random from the link provided for your operating system and save it to your desktop.This tool needs to run while the computer is connected to the Internet. If you get a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding RSIT attempting to contact the Internet, please allow the connection.
  • Close all applications and windows so that you have nothing open and are at your Desktop.
  • Double-click on RSIT.exe to start the program.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Read the disclaimer and click Continue.
  • When the scan is complete, a text file named log.txt will automatically open in Notepad.
  • Another text file named info.txt will open minimized.
  • Save the log files to your desktop and copy/paste the contents of log.txt by highlighting everything and pressing Ctrl+C.
  • After highlighting, right-click, choose Copy and then paste the contents into a new topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here.
  • Copies of both log files are automatically saved in the C:\RSIT folder which the tool creates during the scan.
Important: Be sure to mention that you tried to follow the Prep Guide but were unable to get DDS to run. If RSIT did not work, then reply back here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users