Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Problems, SMART Warning

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Lesale

Lesale

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:33 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526646/computer-takes-8-10-minutes-to-boot-strange-whirring-sounds-coming-from-hard-dr/ - Hamluis.

I have a similar, yet quite more complicated problem. A few nights ago, windows downloaded 3 updates, two for .Net framework 4.5.1, and one for skype. I shut the computer down and went to bed while it installed the updates. The next day when I boot the computer, S.M.A.R.T says one of the hard drives is bad. Being this isn't the drive windows boots from, I dismissed it and continued the boot. Then a simple black screen shows up with text reading "Checking drive D" (well, along those lines) turns out windows created this drive (system reserve) because of a failed boot. Allowing it to check the disk simply freezes at the third step. Cancelling the disk check continues the boot, but it takes about 30 minutes. It comes to a black screen (with the cursor visable), pressing CAD pops up the usual menu, but when I move the cursor to the corner to shut down the computer, I see it wants to install the same updates it had previously installed. Once, it did fully boot with the desktop being visable. I tried to restore to the point before the download was started, but the same problems occur. Nothing other than a LoL update and a Steam update has been downloaded in the past several months (not counting the windows updates), and the chassis hasn't been touched other than pressing the power button. I cannot figure out what could have caused damage to the second HDD, or why the damn thing won't boot being that the second HDD is just...there. The two are on a AHCI setup. I considered disabling the second drive, but I've never dealt with an AHCI or RAID setup before, so I'm not sure if simply disabling it from the bios would do anything, or if I have to change the setup on the main HDD to IDE, or what. I've built and repaired several computers in my time, and I want to find out if there is anything I could possibly do without having to re-format. As there is quite a bit of data, and, thanks to a lapse of judgement on my part, it isn't partitioned. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you. 
System specs:
CPU: AMD FX 8-Core Black Edition FX-8350
GPU: Two Nvidia geforce gtx 660 ti's (SLI setup)
Motherboard: Sabertooth R2
RAM: 8GB DDR3

Edited by hamluis, 07 March 2014 - 09:22 AM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users