Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reminds me of the Y2K Hype

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rose904

Rose904

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:13 AM

All this hype about end of support for XP is laughable. I think MS is behind most of it, just trying to push the unpopular Win 8. We have had 3 service packs and 100+ updates after SP3, so surely MS has covered the vast majority of vulnerabilities that existed in XP. Of course, the biggest vulnerability to any OS is the user. A user that doesn't keep antivirus up to date, browses risky sites, is a sucker for any pop-up(free computer scan, driver detective, etc), or blindly clicks on email links is just asking for a virus.

Don't get me wrong, I love Win 7 & have it running on my laptop and one desktop. However, the desktop that I use most frequently is running XP & I intend to keep using it until such time that I am convinced that it is more vulnerable than it was while MS was providing updates.

The majority of comments that I see about Win 7 is that people like it. Why doesn't MS offer a discount to XP users to upgrade to Win 7? I just went to MS website & they don't even sell Win 7 any longer - trying to force Win 8 on us. One of the big advantages of Win 8 for MS is that the COA is no longer printed on a sticker on the computer, but is embedded in the BIOS. What will be your options if you need to replace the motherboard - a very common occurrance in laptops? Unless MS comes up with an alternative means of activation, you will be buying another Windows disk.

Web sites not compatible with IE 8 - get Chrome or Firefox. Security Essentials(MS says it will continue to update it for another year) no longer supported - plenty of good, antivirus programs available. Other options - Mac or Ubuntu

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:36 AM

The problem is most users will be vulnerable either because of their surfing habits or by the fact they do all of their work in an admin account. Now when Microsoft issues security patches for Windows 7, there is a high probability the security hole will also be in XP so malware writers will be having a field day. Malware can hide on legitimate sites. Click the page and your infected. So, in order for XP to be truly secure, it is going to have to be locked down with a SRP, a good firewall, and Microsoft EMET would also help. The average person will be doing none of this. Welcome to the biggest Botnet on the planet.

Personally, I am going to dual boot with Linux on my XP computers.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:36 AM

I agree that Microsoft should still offer Windows 7... It seems they are indeed pushing everyone toward windows 8. As far as replacing the main board goes, if you buy a new mainboard for a laptop it would likely have it's own windows 8 key in the bios that would activate. If you had to repalce the main board, I guess you would get a different key. Also it seems these days devices are made to be thrown away. Newer laptops and tablets get harder and harder to take apart and replace parts in. I recently worked on a lenovo with a broken touch screen and lcd panel. It took hours to repair and since the digitizer or touch screen portion was glued in, I had to put clamps on the new one and let it sit under pressure for 48 hours to get it to stick properly. It probably would have been easier to replace the enitre assembly, of course this was more than double the cost of the lcd + digitizer alone.

The world is moving toward a 2 year throw away device especially in tablets where the battery is difficult to replace, most of the time you have to remove the screen which will likely break while doing so and the screens are tough enough to replace as it is. I think this is a waste of resources. We need devices with easily replaceable batteries etc. The newer chipsets are more than fast enough for day to day tasks for the average user. Email, Office work, all of this will likely work fine on a current tablet running windows 8 with any of the i3-i7 processors for many years to come, too bad the battery will be bad within a few years and not worth the trouble or cost to replace. I have turned away many clients wishing to repair ipods with bad batteries or broken screens because they are not worth the effort to fix. I worry about some of the new windows tablets I have yet to see...

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 Rose904

Rose904
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

Zingo wrote, "As far as replacing the main board goes, if you buy a new mainboard for a laptop it would likely have it's own windows 8 key in the bios that would activate."

That is probably correct - I hadn't thought of that. Of course, providing that the replacement MB had Win 8 installed initially. If you purchased a used or NOS MB, you might get one that didn't come with Win 8 & you will have no COA.

One other thing that I forgot.  This hype to move from XP is a big boon to the retailers - Best Buy & countless others would just love to sell you a new computer, so they are going to be the first to put down XP. PC service techs will be happy to take your money to upgrade from XP. The majority of XP machines will run happily on Win 7, and if the tech guy is charging a reasonable fee, this would be good option for XP users.

I also want to give HP credit for still offereing Win 7 on some of their new computers!

Good advice from JohnC

Edited by Rose904, 07 March 2014 - 10:09 AM.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

You can still order Dell computers with windows 7 pro... There are probably quite a few manufacturers that offer windows 7 machines from their websites.

Other thoughts: I personally will never buy a tablet, the ways that I use laptops and desktops require a full keyboard/mouse, tablets have fewer usb ports etc, and I hate how dirty touch screens get, not to mention tablets are nearly impossible to repair.

The reason the windows 8 GUI (graphical user interface) changed so much was only due to the touch screens popularity and tablets etc. I have found that even with windows 8, touch screens are useless for me, I can navigate faster and more accurately with a mouse and keyboard, even laptop touch pads are better for me. Those keyboards some tablets have with touch keys that do not move really affect my typing skills as well, I may be able to get used to those but for now until the touch screen actually makes the computer more usable for me, I will take a more powerful bigger screen laptop for the same price of a little tablet.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:51 PM

All Operating Systems are pre planned to be phased out (sooner or later) $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Link to Genuine M/soft plans =>>  Windows lifecycle fact sheet

Windows XP
Client operating systems
Service Pack 3  End of mainstream support April 14, 2009  End of extended support April 8, 2014

Very roughly this translates as ~ On release 20 people worked on fixes but in 2009, 10 people worked on fixes. Now only volunteers will be all that are working on fixes or updates.

Client operating systems
Windows Vista Service Pack 2 April 10, 2012  End of extended support April 11, 2017

Client operating systems
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 End of mainstream support January 13, 2015  End of extended support January 14, 2020

Client operating systems
Windows 8  Windows 8.1  End of mainstream support January 9, 2018  End of extended support January 10, 2023

The links to Windows 9 are not 100% set as yet, but the release is within 6 to 12 months.

DELL has started to produce small amounts of computers to run Windows 9 already.

The software giant is expected to unveil details of Windows 8's successor - Windows 9, code-named ''Threshold'' - at the Build developer conference in April, according to Microsoft analyst and blogger Paul Thurrott.

Read more: Read more:

Edit to add link -

Edited by noknojon, 10 March 2014 - 04:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users