Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire 5517 15.6" HD LCD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 k_tec12

k_tec12

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:41 AM

Have a Acer Aspire 5517 with the following specs: 15.6" HD LCD

cpu TK-42 AMD Athlon 64x, memory 3GB, 250GB HDD running Windows 7.. When ever

I put it on the screen will remain blank. Removed the memory hoping if i would hear any

beep. Still nothing... can anyone help??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:24 AM

Does the backlight for the screen come on? Do you have video from the video output (vga, hdmi etc)?

In a dark room you should be able to see light come from the backlight when powered on. Do you have more than 1 stick of ram? IF so try 1 stick in 1 slot, then move it to the next slot, if still you have no image, try the other stick in both slots as well. The key is to use only 1 stick in 1 slot at a time to rule out a possible bad stick or bad slot. If you have access to the cmos button cell battery, it would be worth a shot pulling that out to reset the cmos (YOU MUST have the power adapter disconnected and remove the main laptop battery as well to reset cmos when pulling out the button cell battery).

Edited by zingo156, 07 March 2014 - 09:25 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 k_tec12

k_tec12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:35 PM

Zingo 156 tried everythingsaid to do, including checking the connections to to and from the screen. Only thing i was unable to do

was to reset the cmos battery. Is there anything else that I can try? Please let me Know.. I should let you know that the motherboard

is getting current, the internal fan is spinning, the hard drive is spinning, and the processor is getting warm.... Unfortunately I don't

have any extra memory to test.....

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:51 AM

Was there any light on the built in lcd panel? Did you try an external? If so what was the result? If you have a very bright flash light, you can shine it on the lcd panel and see if any picture is actually there. I am not certain if your model has an inverter or if it is a LED back lit LCD, if it has an inverter, it is possible this component failed. The inverter provides high voltage current to run the CCFL backlight. If it fails the screen may appear black but will still have an image that a bright light may help you see. If there is a back light but no image, it is possible your lcd panel has a problem, or your main board has a problem.

If there is no picture at all including on an external monitor, the next thing I would do is remove all components that are not required to get the computer to fully post. Hard drives, webcam, keyboard, mouse, wireless mini pci-e card etc... This would require taking the computer apart. Any component can cause a post failure. You should leave 1 stick of ram in, the built in monitor hooked up to the main board, the cpu and cpu cooler/fan installed and then only use the power adapter (leave the battery disconnected).

One thing I should mention now: ALWAYS disconnect all power (battery and power adapter) from a computer before removing any components. If you leave the battery in when removing components, you can cause permanent damage by shorting pins.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users