Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

APPs in general

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 techlove

techlove

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:11 AM

This is actually a question for all smartphones, not just apple - but I couldnt find a communal smartphone page! lol ;)

Anyways, my question: the prepaid card that I use for online payments just came out with an app - do I need that in order to be able to buy things via smartphone, or is it just an "accessory"? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:16 AM

that's a specific question for your provider.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,080 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:20 AM

I have an iphone app that lets me pre pay my account with my provider Its tied to a prepaid credit card also with an app no probs yet. Telstra prepaid app. And no you shouldnt as you should be able to enter the information manualy thru a browser.

I find it easy.

I load some money on my prepaid card

then when needed I open telstra app select  recharge by credit card open app 2 and tap pay on app 1 then the two apps do what ever and I get a thank you your account has been credited with xxxx dollars. I also deal with ebay on the same prepaid credit card... no apps I do that on pc.

Edited by NickAu1, 07 March 2014 - 07:31 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:47 AM

android is leaky.... you have been warned.

DO NOT put sensitive info (like paypal or bank details) on any Android device.

Ignore me now, cry later... If you will.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,080 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:20 AM

android is leaky.... you have been warned.

DO NOT put sensitive info (like paypal or bank details) on any Android device.

Ignore me now, cry later... If you will.

Yes so is IOS but I only use a prepaid card that I manually ( have to go to post office to recharge) It never has more that 100 bucks in the account and is in No way connected to any bank accounts.

I weighed up the risk and the most they can get is 100 dollars. Its a risk I am willing to take If I want to shop online/Iphone.

Please Note this is just me ....... Your needs may be different. Consider the Risk to advantage to dis advantage of using such things.

Edited by NickAu1, 07 March 2014 - 08:22 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:28 AM

I use online banking on my Android device. As long as the connection is secure and you have not installed loads of crappy apps, there is nothing to worry about.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:45 AM

I use online banking on my Android device. As long as the connection is secure and you have not installed loads of crappy apps, there is nothing to worry about.

I'm not sure if this is a matter of opinion, or fact. (well, I am... just being diplomatic)

Edited by TsVk!, 07 March 2014 - 08:48 AM.

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:19 AM

I'm not sure if this is a matter of opinion, or fact. (well, I am... just being diplomatic)

I am sorry I forgot to mention that it is a matter of my personal opinion.

#9 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:21 AM

To answer your question, no, unless the specifically say the app is required, It is likely simply for convenience, not a necessity.

Unofficial iOS Genius

#10 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

This is actually a question for all smartphones, not just apple - but I couldnt find a communal smartphone page! lol ;)
Anyways, my question: the prepaid card that I use for online payments just came out with an app - do I need that in order to be able to buy things via smartphone, or is it just an "accessory"?

If the app is from company of your pre-paid card, it is likely for you to use to access your pre-paid card account to check balances or add money to your pre-paid card. If you check your balances or add money by other means (i.e. a computer, calling, etc), then you likely do not need the app.

#11 techlove

techlove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:53 AM

@BC Advisor!   Thank you for your answer - I have downloaded the paysafecard app (that the name of my prepaid card) and it works perfectly.  My friends who use the android system have done the same and it also works.  I am now able to check my current balance, find selling stations and of course have access to their newsletter.  It is actually very practical, but isnt necessary to buy things via the smartphone, you could do so even without the app - it is just a practical accessory! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users