Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My cursor is drifting across the screen again, and sometimes unresponsive

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:49 AM

hi hi hi,

this is not good. i am really hoping that i can fix this.

my cursor is drifting across the screen again, and sometimes becomes completely unresponsive.

does anyone know how to fix this?

someone, please help....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:55 AM

Do you have a mouse? A touchpad?

#3 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:42 AM

hey bludshot, good to see you again,

i think its a Dell Latitude C600, i'll have to check about the C600 part again, the "navigation" is kind of rough at the moment: what with TABBING around everywhere and such, you know....

i have both. it is detachable mouse -- i have one that is regular, and one that is a USB. it is a laptop, so it has a touchpad.

:welcome: White Hat

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:49 AM

There may be a button to disable the built in mouse, likely you will need to use the FN (function key) + one of the F1-F12 keys. Otherwise you can disable the touchpad from the mouse's software: (synaptics or whatever it is).

IF you have no software for the mouse, you may need to go into device manager and disable that mouse in (Mice and other pointing devices) leave your usb mouse disconnected from the computer and it should not show up in device manager, this way you know you are only disabling the built in mouse.

Then plug your usb mouse back in and try with that alone. I have seen many of those built in keyboard mice have problems after years of use where they drift to one side or another.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 billman87

billman87

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:05 AM

Shiny surfaces can cause this to, I suggest trying a different mouse mat.

#6 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:00 PM

Unplug the mouse and only use the touchpad. What happens? How does it behave?

Plug the mouse back in and try using the mouse. How does it go then?

#7 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:11 AM

Yeah, this "drifting" is really common on lazer based mouses when on irregular and/or reflecting surfaces

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#8 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:53 AM

:tophat: zingo156, HI, nice to meet ya,

i had trouble and couldn't fix it, so i just gave up: FORGET IT.
 "i've had it with this computer". i turned the computer off, and went to sleep.

in the morning, from a cold boot, the mouse worked just fine, and has no problems anymore. i am beginning to suspect that "heat" may be ONE of the problems, as there may be others...

however, i don't want to mess anything up WHILE its working just fine, so i'll wait until it does (hopefully it doesn't), and then MESS with it. in the meantime, i'll treat this computer like a flower, and be gentle and kind to it, and make sure that it gets its mid day nap, otherwise, the kid gets cranky and starts acting up. you know how kids are. they always demand your attention, just like the problems of THIS computer....

it keeps doing it (past tense). none of the F keys do anything. in the device manager, under mice and other pointing devices, there is a ps/2 compatible mouse listed, but no touchpad or "stick or pointing device" listed...
this is the problem that i had last time: no touchpad or "stick or pointing device" was on the list.

billman87, hi,

i don't use a ouse pad

bludshot, hello there,

just the same!

Datcoolguy, howdy,

yea, i've noticed that too.
however, THIS is a distinctive "continuous" drifting across the screen by itself even when the mouse is unplugged kind of PHENOMONEN!!!!

White Hat

#9 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:16 AM

If its happening when the mouse is unplugged then it's not the mouse. If you can't find synaptics or touch pad in the control panel to disable the touch pad, you should be able to find the touch pad in System Hardware Devices and disable it there.

#10 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:30 PM

how are you bludshot?

quote by White Hat
"in the device manager, under mice and other pointing devices, there is a ps/2 compatible mouse listed, but no touchpad or "stick or pointing device" listed..."

yea, that's what i thought too -- it would've been an "easy" fix. this is the reason why i was having a hard time fixing it last time :crazy: .....

:thumbsup2: but good suggestion, though

White Hat

#11 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:19 AM

It's got to be listed as something though. It's there we just don't know it's name.

I would just open up the laptop and physically disconnect the wire for the touch pad then :D

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:21 AM

It will likely be listed as a ps/2 device in device manager, leave all other usb devices disconnected and then disable the one in mice and pointing devices, (there should only be one there and it should be your built in mouse). Those built into keyboard mice wear out, they remind me of the nintendo 64 joysticks. After you disable it plug in your usb mouse and it should not drift anymore, unless of course it is the usb mouse that is the problem and not the one that is built in. I had a lenovo with the keyboard style built in mouse, it wore out and drifted, I could get it to stop by pushing on it hard in the opposite direction it was drifting. The next time I used it, it would begin to drift again. You might be able to replace the entire keyboard for cheap, though I would only recommend new if you can find it, the mouse will be replaced with it since it is built into the keyboard.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#13 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:55 AM

:busy: hi bludshot, only the ps/2 is listed. there is NOTHING else in the list.
someone said that the only way to do that is to permanently "cut" it.
"but," they said, "that is your choice": and then this device will be permanently disabled.

hey you zingo156, nice avatar you got there. i really like ferrets. there cool.
trying to ferret out this problem, huh. pretty good answer so far, i must say so myself --

"leave all other usb devices disconnected and then disable the one in mice and pointing devices”
interesting -- didn't think of doing that....

yea, i agree, the problem with these nintendo 64 joysticks is that there are REALLY unmanueverable and slide across the screen so quickly that they are completely unrealistic in being able to percise it point on certain locations which is necessary about 90% of the time. therefore, i never even use the thing -- they are SOOO unweildable.

ah, i see how your analysis is rather clever here. so if you “disable” the driver, and it STILL has a problem, then it is not the driver/software that is the problem, but rather the hardware. nice way to pinpoint it bro!!!! :step3:

“replace the entire keyboard “
yes, i have heard that. that is the last ditch effort if all else fails, for a “successful” fix.
wow, you are really good at hardware here. i’d say almost, if not, an expert.

so by “mouse” you are referring to the “nintendo 64 joysticks “?

when my computer acts up again, i’ll try this technique.

but, since this is my backup computer, i don’t want to wear it out, so i haven’t been using it much lately.
and, in addition to that, since the computer is stone age outdated, it is rather impracticle to replace the keyboard on it.
the last computer that i got from the same person that was in the same condition, failed with ALL of its conceivable hardware, one at a time, until the entire computer just completely died, even when i, one at a time, kept replacing the failed hardware!!! now that was an insult. and it was so bad, as i am only an intermediate, borderline beginner at hardware (at least at the time, and only in the field of desktops, and only a total virgin to laptops), that it became an real painful, excrusating ordeal trying to figure and diagnose the problem...

THANK YOU

White Hat :bubbles:

Edited by James T Kirk, 11 March 2014 - 02:55 AM.

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:30 AM

I am glad to help :) I agree, I am fairly good with hardware, I have a lot of experience in the retail world, I have seen nearly every type of computer. My first ever was a commodore 64, that makes me feel old.

Nintendo 64 had joysticks that wore out quickly, I must have burned through 1 a year. I was very gentle on them as well. The touchpad mice are more reliable than those little joy stick style keyboard mice. I suppose because there are really no moving parts in the touchpad itself.

#15 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:11 AM

:clapping: hey zingo156, its nice to talk to you!

i was just wondering, that from your experience, if you noticed that this type of touchpad/pointing stick error was brand name specific, or if it happens to ALL laptops?

i know if anybody would know this, you would...

White Hat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users