Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

**** You may wish to Avoid these specific Desktop Models ****

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 White_Zombie

White_Zombie

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:56 PM

Lately, Acer and Gateway computers both started selling desktop models with proprietary 12-pin PSU-to-mobo connectors instead of the standard ATX 24-pin or 20-pin connector.  This makes it extremely difficult to replace the PSU or the motherboard. You will have to send the whole computer back to the company if you need either of these parts replaced, or find an authorized seller of the specific Acer/Gateway part numbers. Thus far I have only found 1 place on the entire web that sells replacement PSU's and I searched the web for days. Not even eBay has them.

Also, upgrading the PSU to anything higher than the original 300 watt PSU is impossible since they didn't make any model larger than 300 watts. What makes that important is that if you had dreams of upgrading to a decent dedicated video card - you are out of luck.

These specific models of Acer / Gateway desktops utilize the proprietary 12-pin power connector:

Acer Aspire AT3-605-UR20 . (i5-4330 / 12gb / 2tb)

Acer Aspire AT3-605-UR21 . (i7-4770 / 12gb / 1tb)

Acer Predator AG3-605-UR24 . (i7-4770 / 12gb / 1tb)

Gateway DX4885-UB3A . (i5-4430 / 8gb / 1tb)

Gateway DX-4885-UR21 .(i5-4430 / 8gb / 1tb)

This model may also use the 12-pin power connector as well:

Gateway DX4870-UB318 . (i5-3330 / 8gb / 1tb)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:38 AM

I've been wishing to avoid all gateway products for a decade :wink:  Interesting about the Acers though.

#3 White_Zombie

White_Zombie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:55 AM

I've been wishing to avoid all gateway products for a decade :wink:  Interesting about the Acers though.

They are basically the same company. Acer bought Gateway in 2007.

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:40 AM

Interesting. Personally I wouldn't consider buying *any* pre-made desktop PCs. Seems to me (in my biased opinion) that the entire business model is to use the cheapest junkiest parts they can find to make a computer that can't be upgraded - and then put a shiny black plastic facade on it to impress dumb people. Although for some non-techy friends who don't appreciate having more solid custom built PCs, I recommend Dell. I also feel like Acer laptops are decent too. But I lump stuff like gateway, eMachines, Ibuypower all together. So I guess I should add acer desktops to that list.

#5 White_Zombie

White_Zombie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:06 AM

I agree. I would never buy a pre-made desktop. It's just that most people do, and someone I know just bought a Gateway DX4885-UB3A. When I opened it up for inspection I noticed all the insane parts and wiring. After some research I had to get the word out about how bad it was.

#6 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:16 AM

Dell PSU's (the several I have seen), instead of having a power switch on the back, it's got a little light where the switch should be! So you can't turn off the power supply lol.

One time I was working on a pre-made computer that had involved the use of hot glue in its construction. The pci cards were hot glued onto the chassis. I had to use an exacto knife to cut through the glue before I could unscrew parts out of the computer...

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

Any time I recommend a manufactured machine I do it with the understanding that upgrade and repair options are extremely limited.  If one of these models matches what someone is looking for in a machine I wouldn't have an issue recommending them. I've owned Dell, IBM, Compaq, HP, and Gateway machines. My experience with Gateway was that they used older technology to cut costs.

#8 White_Zombie

White_Zombie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:58 PM

Any time I recommend a manufactured machine I do it with the understanding that upgrade and repair options are extremely limited.  If one of these models matches what someone is looking for in a machine I wouldn't have an issue recommending them. I've owned Dell, IBM, Compaq, HP, and Gateway machines. My experience with Gateway was that they used older technology to cut costs.

Normally I would too, but if you can't even replace the the existing parts then what are you going to do?

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:18 PM

Hi

I feel that Name brand desktop computers have their place.

That place is not the enthusiast market although I believe that is why Dell bought Alienware.

They are a good deal in many cases for someone that wants a computer that they can just use and not upgrade before they replace it.

Most name brands from what I have observed run cool and quiet. You buy a name brand desktop if you are not the type of person that starts changing things. For many buyers the Support and warranty is a good deal. Everybody is not able or willing to troubleshoot computer problems.

If You are the type that is always tinkering and changing things in the computer then You should build it. As far as I can see You do not really save much money if any. But You get a computer that You can tinker with.

Laptops I just buy a name brand. I do not consider a laptop as being upgrade read. With a few things that You can change such as memory and hard drive.

The All-In-One desktop computers are a special case and I consider them as being in the laptop category. I have one. I have more or less maxed it out. SSD hard drive and a memory upgrade.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 bslepko

bslepko

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:23 PM

I had the same problem with an Acer At3-605-UR24 desktop I bought late last year, no way to upgrade the psu due to the proprietary psu-mobo connector.  I tried for day to find something on the web to no avail.  Also tried Acer support and they couldn't help.  I reached out to a bunch of executives at Acer (I'm in the support business myself) and actually received a reply.  Guy named frank.chang@acer.com acknowledged the problem, indicated he is responsible or fixing it over the last twelve months, assured me they changed for future builds, and best of all promised to track down a 500w psu for me, for free.  We'll see if it comes in but so far pleased with the response from Acer.

Brian

#11 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:36 AM

White_Zombie

Thanks for the info about the PSU/MoBo connectors.  I have a custom-built Desktop PC but was curious when I read your post and did a little searching about the connectors.  You're right about there not bring much out there regarding PSU adapters or replacement PSU's for these proprietary connectors.

I saw a couple of eBay items for PSU adapter connectors but they require the customer to ship their original PSU units to the seller for modification.

It's the same reason I usually recommend the same thing as RKilroy mentioned about upgrading the internal components being difficult or perhaps not possible, when buying vendor-specific Desktop PC's.

rotor123

Good points, I agree about the general public and Desktop PC's.  Regular hobby posters here probably represent 5% or less of the buying public. Additionally, most buyers don't have the knowledge that's needed to select components for a custom-built PC.  I was in that camp until a few years ago, when I went with an IT friend to buy my Desktop PC.  It was the best decision I made since I got an expandable PC but more important to me, I had an understanding of what components were used to build the PC.

This is a biased observation :lol:  , since I'm a HDD-backup geek, but one reason I'd not recommend a prebuilt name-brand shelf PC to most people is the lack of expansion bays and/or Sata (hot-swap) Racks not being installed in name-brand towers.

Those are necessities for me for ease of cloning or imaging using Sata transfer speeds since they eliminate the requirement to access the internal tower when backing up HDD's.

It's basically about (my opinion) the need for general backup education when a potential customer is looking to buy a prebuilt Desktop PC. 

I just think about the large # of headaches that most customers could avoid if, at the time of the purchase, the units would include hot-swap racks and perhaps include backup freeware, such as Macrium Reflect, etc, to give the buyer an opportunity to recognize the importance of backups or at least to increase awareness about the benefits of having a fast recovery option on the shelf with a spare HDD or restoring a full-HDD image from an external HDD.

Laptops, I'm the same there as well, better to go with a name-brand unit.

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

Just curious,  I know it isn't as fast, however USB3 has decent speed and more and more computers are coming with USB3 ports. Not to mention there is no problem finding external drives that are USB3. They are generally what I use anymore. USB3 portable externals.

Size and no need for another power outlet trump the 3.5" external drives in my case.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users