Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Site With My Town Name

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ramsey76

ramsey76

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 05:58 AM

:angry: My young son accidently found an adult site while on the internet.

What concerns me is an ad on the site.

Basically it said Girls from " My Town" are waiting to meet me.

I was shocked that somehow something on my computer gave this site my location ( the name of my town).

I cleared all the cookies and got on this site again and the name of my Town was still there.

What is going on ?

How can I prevent his in the future?

Maybe it is no bid deal, but I am quite upset

Thanks

Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 06:32 AM

I know what you mean about the name of your town showing up but that is from the site that your son connected with just tracked your IP address back and located your town,. There is something that can be done about that but first we have to take care of any possible infections your computer might have, because it is almost certain that it is a Trojan that caused this and also we just want to be sure your computer is clean.

I would like you to go thru the Hijackthis - It will take a little bit of time because of the amount of work they have to do and also diagnosing it accurately.

Please read this guide before actually doing the procedure
And it has all of the links for downloads you need.

Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Go to the following to post your log file and it will be analyzed by a qualified tech

HijackThis Logs and Analysis
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

#3 ramsey76

ramsey76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 06:51 AM

Thanks

I use that particular PC to pays bills and make purchases ( credit card).

Should I stop doing this until this issue is resolved.

I will run Hijackthis today.

Should my anti virus program catch these things ? I use Norton Corporate Edition ( verision 10)

Tom

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 07:35 AM

If you feel your security may have been compromised, you should install a software firewall. I recommend SyGate Presonal Firewall 5.6. This will block any software attempting to access the internet. It will identify most software and ask if it should be allowed. A firewall in it's self does not remove malware but it will go a long way is identifing it.
I would also suggest ...
Microsoft Defender (2000,and XP only)
Spybot Tutorial
AdAware SE Personal Edition Tutorial
SpyBlaster Tutorial
SpywareGuard Tutorial

This will go along ways to protect your system, and if infected, and regain control. THorXP's suggestion about posting a HJT log would be a very good idea.

Edited by acklan, 15 May 2006 - 08:18 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 04:22 PM

Thanks

I use that particular PC to pays bills and make purchases ( credit card).

Should I stop doing this until this issue is resolved.

I will run Hijackthis today.

Should my anti virus program catch these things ? I use Norton Corporate Edition ( verision 10)

Tom

What you need is a parental control filter. I recommend Safe Eyes 2006. Go to www.SafeEyes.com. It is $50, but you get free upgrades for life. You can control the time your children are online, monitor their internet activity, block keywords, etc. It is endorsed by PC Magazine, Setting Captives Free, and more organizations.

Peace,
Jesse
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users