Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I Need To Replace My DC Power Jack In My Laptop?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Kiara2116

Kiara2116

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:23 PM

About two weeks ago I replaced my computer charger and battery because my computer wasn't charging. Now, it still isn't charging! It says 'plugged in, not charging' but luckily my battery was already at 80%. From the looks of it, the little pins inside the charger port keep bending. When they do, my computer doesn't detect the charger so I straighten them again with tweezers. My friend said there is supposed to be a little black thing over the pins and that's why they keep bending. So does that mean I need to replace the DC power jack? That's the only thing I can think of that might fix my problem so my computer will charge again. If that's not it, do you have any ideas of why it won't charge? BTW, I have a Dell Inspiron M5110. I bought it from a friend less than a year ago and I think she bought it in 2011 or so. PLEASE HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:52 PM

Hi.  If it's saying "plugged in not charging" that means it's running off mains power.  That suggests the jack is OK.  If it wasn't then it would be running off battery, and it would run down to zero and switch off within a few hours.

What I think it might be is that some laptops use a charging profile that prolongs battery life when it's mainly used on AC power.  This keeps the battery from being fully charged and only allows charging it to 80% of capacity. You may be able to change the charging profile in the power management settings.  On my Samsung laptop there is a utility from Samsung that allows you to change this, maybe Dell provide something similar?

The reason for limiting charge to 80% is that apart from excessive heat, the worst thing for a lithium battery (the type used in modern laptops) is for it to be kept plugged in and at 100% charge all of the time.  This causes batteries to fail early.

Edited by jonuk76, 06 March 2014 - 09:52 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Ant.Man

Ant.Man

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:26 PM

the little pins inside the charger port keep bending. ...

so I straighten them again with tweezers.

My friend said there is supposed to be a little black thing over the pins and that's why they keep bending.

does that mean I need to replace the DC power jack?

You are describing a broken or stressed power jack. 

Yes.  You need to repair this damage.

vTUF3qT.jpg

Fortunately, this is a field replaceable part.  $10 example at eBay$20 elsewhere

Typical repair cost depends on the repair shop.  In my area, this repair is available at $45 labor.  A typical consumer could expect to pay $100, parts included.

With the proper tools, a moderately qualified tech can perform this repair.

Video demonstrating the repair on Dell Inspiron M5110.  I am not endorsing the video author or the service provider. 

It is just an appropriate video.

Edited by Ant.Man, 06 March 2014 - 10:40 PM.

This is not my signature.

#4 Ant.Man

Ant.Man

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:36 PM

I do recommend and endorse JerkStopper.  Consider making this modest investment to help prevent future damage to the DC power jack.

jerk-stopper.jpg

Edited by Ant.Man, 06 March 2014 - 10:37 PM.

#5 Kiara2116

Kiara2116
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:46 AM

the little pins inside the charger port keep bending. ...

so I straighten them again with tweezers.

My friend said there is supposed to be a little black thing over the pins and that's why they keep bending.

does that mean I need to replace the DC power jack?

You are describing a broken or stressed power jack. 

Yes.  You need to repair this damage.

vTUF3qT.jpg

Fortunately, this is a field replaceable part.  $10 example at eBay$20 elsewhere

Typical repair cost depends on the repair shop.  In my area, this repair is available at $45 labor.  A typical consumer could expect to pay $100, parts included.

With the proper tools, a moderately qualified tech can perform this repair.

Okay thanks! Do I need to find a certain charger to go with that particular dc jack or will it be compatible with the one I have now?

#6 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:18 AM

It's a direct replacement part for your laptop's model number. Everything should work just fine after the repair.

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#7 Kiara2116

Kiara2116
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:47 AM

Thanks everyone!! My dad used to build computers and whatnot so we'll order the part and see what we can do!! I'm extremely relieved the problem isn't serious.

#8 Ant.Man

Ant.Man

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:29 AM

A detailed disassembly guide:

How to disassemble a Dell Inspiron N5110 laptop also sold as Dell Inspiron 15R.

Dell Inspiron 15R N5110 Service Manual (direct link to PDF)

#9 Kiara2116

Kiara2116
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:46 PM

Hey guys we tried this but now the charger stops working when we plug it into the laptop. The laptop won't even turn on cause it's dead.what should we do?

#10 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:13 AM

In your original post you said you replaced the charger and battery. Have you tried the originals again? Were the new parts the correct ones? Especially the chargers output specs (volts & amps, especially voltage? I'm not trying to be fecetios, just trying to re-address the basics. I mention these because, according to your description, that repair should have worked. There's also the possibility of a faulty repair. Sometimes laptops can be a bear to work on. Nothing against your dad, but everyone makes mistakes.

#11 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:22 AM

now the charger stops working when we plug it into the laptop.

Also not sure what you mean here...

Does your charger have a power indicator light that goes out when plugging it into the laptop?

#12 Kiara2116

Kiara2116
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

Yes. The little green light turns off as soon as we plug it into the laptop. The charger did fully charge the battery once before (this was a weeks ago)because i had moved the pins inside the charger port area into the perfect positions (accidentally lol) so i think they work fine...

#13 Kiara2116

Kiara2116
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:57 AM

Also we've tried this with the battery in and out but same results. When we take it apart again, is there anything we should look for that we may have done wrong?

#14 Ant.Man

Ant.Man

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

The correct action is to test the power adapter with a meter.  It is either outputting the correct power or it is not.

If it is, test the DC jack board for continuity.

Assumption:

The power brick is fine.

The laptop has not been damaged and is properly re-assembled.

You cannot test the DC power jack.

You are describing a failed DC power jack.  Return to seller as faulty.

Edited by Ant.Man, 15 March 2014 - 11:13 AM.

#15 Ant.Man

Ant.Man

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:15 AM

Attach a charged battery.

If it powers on > failed DC jack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic