Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

plug into USB 3.0 port with USB 2.0 plug, then comp crash

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DyslexicChciken

DyslexicChciken

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:10 PM

I posted this on the external hardware forum, but someone suggested I post this question here and maybe there might be someone more knowledgeable about what is going on.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/524364/plugged-in-my-external-hard-drive-and-computer-crashed/

I added some more details and made some things clearer.

What is happening:

1. I plugged in my external hard drive for the first time and computer crashed. The plug is a USB 2.0, while the hole is USB 3.0. The external hard drive is a western digital caviar blue 500GB encased in a Rosewill external case, which I had sitting at a corner for several years. The Rosewill external case does not have a ground plug for its power cord. It just shut down automatically. I thought I saw a spark.

2. I plugged in my printer as well, and my computer crashed. I recently built a new computer with these specs:

I am wondering if anyone out there might know what is possibly happening so I can take the necessary precautions next time and hopefully solve the problem.

My components:

My motherboard: GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z87

PSU: XFX 650W

1. 3 HDD
2. 1 SSD(OS)

3. 1 DVD writable drive.
4. 1 XFX Radeon HD 5870 GPU
5. Intel 3.40 GHz i7 cpu.
6. 16GB Ram by corsair(2 x 8).

My PSU specs:

ac input: 100-240VAC, 10A, 50/60Hz

dc output |+3.3v..|. +5v....|. +12v..|. -12v....|+5VSB..|
................|..24A...|.30A...|...52A..|...0.8A...|..3A.......|
................|....170W.........|..624W.|...9.6W..|...15W...|
................|.......................650W..............................|

I have no idea what those numbers mean. Hopefully someone knows what is going on with my computer.

Here are the possibilities according to what I have researched:

1. PSU wattage is not enough.

2. Faulty USB 3.0 ports.

3. The electrical outlet may be broken(the grounding plug may be broken), since the plate has broken loose after I banged my desk against it. But this may be unlikely since if this is true, than my last computer should be shutting down when I plug my USB in the back of the computer. Then again my last computer only had 2 HDDs plugged into the motherboard and no DVD drive.

Again, I am plugging USB 2.0, external HD case and my printer, into a USB 3.0 slot and my computer crashes.

I took the HDD out of the external case and plugged it directly into the computer with SATA cord and it works. The problem with plugging USB 2.0 into USB 3.0 port at the back of the computer is still there.

I have contacted Gigabyte, but they never responded.

As you can see from the reviews, I am probably the only one having this specific problems with this motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128671

Edited by DyslexicChciken, 07 March 2014 - 01:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:31 AM

How many usb ports do you have? Can you simply avoid using the one that did this? USB 2.0 and 3.0 are mix and match; usb2 will work in a usb3 port just fine, so that's not the issue.

If your computer crashes every time you plug your printer into that port, you could try plugging it into (all) the other ports and see if it crashes on all those or not. If it doesn't, then you know it's specifically to do with the port. If it crashes on all of them, then maybe it's a driver issue.

Also, it depends what you mean by "crash". If the computer immediately shuts down and reboots, then do not try it out a bunch of times because I guess there could be some kind of electrical short issue.

#3 DyslexicChciken

DyslexicChciken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:55 AM

How many usb ports do you have? Can you simply avoid using the one that did this? USB 2.0 and 3.0 are mix and match; usb2 will work in a usb3 port just fine, so that's not the issue.

If your computer crashes every time you plug your printer into that port, you could try plugging it into (all) the other ports and see if it crashes on all those or not. If it doesn't, then you know it's specifically to do with the port. If it crashes on all of them, then maybe it's a driver issue.

Also, it depends what you mean by "crash". If the computer immediately shuts down and reboots, then do not try it out a bunch of times because I guess there could be some kind of electrical short issue.

Yes, I can avoid using the back ports. In fact, I prefer the front ports. But that is beside the case I am trying to solve. I want to know what is the problem with my computer in case there are other side effects other than computer crashes that may occur in the future. If it is just the USB 3.0 port problem, I am somewhat okay with that. But if it is related to the whole motherboard, I'd prefer to solve the issue.

It doesn't crash when I plug my USB 2.0 in into the front USB 2.0 ports. So I am guessing it is not a PSU problem.

Also, when my computer crashes, the computer shuts down and doesn't reboot.

Edited by DyslexicChciken, 07 March 2014 - 01:59 AM.

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:29 AM

I assume you mean that when it 'crashes' it shuts down immediately as if someone has unplugged the power. (I personally wouldn't call that a 'crash'; to me 'crash' usually means some sort of software blue screen type crash.)

Anyway, sounds like an electrical short to me. Someone else might have better insight than me, but off the top of my head I'd say you have to either stop using the bad USB ports (and be OK with owning a motherboard with bad USB ports), or RMA the motherboard.

You could buy a USB back panel and plug it into the motherboard (to get extra back USB ports) but they would probably be only usb2, which is less than ideal if you wanted usb3 for better speeds for external hard drives.

#5 DyslexicChciken

DyslexicChciken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:59 PM

I assume you mean that when it 'crashes' it shuts down immediately as if someone has unplugged the power. (I personally wouldn't call that a 'crash'; to me 'crash' usually means some sort of software blue screen type crash.)

Anyway, sounds like an electrical short to me. Someone else might have better insight than me, but off the top of my head I'd say you have to either stop using the bad USB ports (and be OK with owning a motherboard with bad USB ports), or RMA the motherboard.

You could buy a USB back panel and plug it into the motherboard (to get extra back USB ports) but they would probably be only usb2, which is less than ideal if you wanted usb3 for better speeds for external hard drives.

Is it really a faulty motherboard if my USB2.0 flash drive works on the back USB3.0 ports without causing an electrical short?

#6 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:23 PM

If you can plug some things into the back and it doesn't shut down the machine, then I don't really know.

Maybe you are actually blue screening and then instantly restarting, but because of some setting instead of restarting it only shuts down.

If so, check your settings to make it so that blue screens do not automatically shut down the machine, then you can read the blue screen message (if you're blue screening); Disable the Automatic Restart on System Failure

You could also look at Event Viewer to see if there are any entries about the crash (for example if it's caused by the specific printer etc), or try looking at Who Crashed.  But I can't tell from your description if the machine is shutting down from a short, or simply crashing, so I don't know if these things will yield any information or not.

#7 DyslexicChciken

DyslexicChciken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:07 AM

If you can plug some things into the back and it doesn't shut down the machine, then I don't really know.

Maybe you are actually blue screening and then instantly restarting, but because of some setting instead of restarting it only shuts down.

If so, check your settings to make it so that blue screens do not automatically shut down the machine, then you can read the blue screen message (if you're blue screening); Disable the Automatic Restart on System Failure

You could also look at Event Viewer to see if there are any entries about the crash (for example if it's caused by the specific printer etc), or try looking at Who Crashed.  But I can't tell from your description if the machine is shutting down from a short, or simply crashing, so I don't know if these things will yield any information or not.

Does it hurt my motherboard or any other components if I electrically short it by testing my USB devices on it?

I am thinking of plugging other things into the USB3.0 ports to see if it shorts.

Edited by DyslexicChciken, 08 March 2014 - 12:29 AM.

#8 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:59 AM

I can't even say for sure that it's shorting at all. I think it would be ok to try other usb devices in it, but I can't guarantee anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users