Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot manager issue.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:59 PM

I have a Sony laptop that I am trying to do a re-format and re-install on. The machine booted normally until I booted with the disk. I get the first error when trying to use a Win 7 disk. The second one when trying to boot normally. I have tried changing bios settings with no luck. Any info would be great. I thank you for your time.

BOOTING WITH STORE PURCHASED W7 DISK.

"Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer."

"This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external usb drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardwre such as a hard drive or cd-rom drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and restart  your computer."

NORMAL BOOT

It will also say " No boot manager found, press cntrl-alt-delete to restart" or something similar when first starting machine.

Edited by hamluis, 07 March 2014 - 07:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:46 PM

Hi,

Have you tried doing a startup repair using the W7 installation disk?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:29 PM

It will not get that far. It does not recognize a disk at all.

Edited by hamluis, 07 March 2014 - 07:54 PM.

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:11 AM

The 2nd error can be fixed by installing windows on the drive (which is what you're trying to do anyway). The first error, perhaps is caused by a half broken dvd drive.  You could try using an external dvd drive?

#5 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:37 PM

I only have a windows cd. What is the best way to re-install using a flash drive?    

Any idea why my font is so small? My cursor looks normal but the bottom of my letters are above the cursor.

Mod Edit:  You accidentally hit superscript key when posting, I corrected - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 07 March 2014 - 07:53 PM.

#6 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:17 PM

You can use this guide to create a windows 7 bootable flash drive for your reinstall

http://arstechnica.com/business/2009/12/the-usb-flash-drive/

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#7 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:09 PM

I only have a windows cd. What is the best way to re-install using a flash drive?    

Any idea why my font is so small? My cursor looks normal but the bottom of my letters are above the cursor.

Mod Edit:  You accidentally hit superscript key when posting, I corrected - Hamluis.

Thanks. Is there any way to find out what keys I would have accidentally hit?

#8 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:16 PM

Probably just pressed the x2 button on the top of the reply box. It's the 6th button across, I dunno if it has an actual short cut key but I doubt it.

Mod Edit:  When making a post...there is a superscript key in the same line as the BOLD key...I have inadvertently hit it or one of the other keys, which will apply it to the content of the post.  Not something to worry about :) - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 08 March 2014 - 02:04 PM.

#9 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

Hi,

As you can see that looks like what you did again. Font is very small and hard to read :exclame:

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

What is the model of this Sony?

Most OEM computer have a second partition which contains the System Recovery files.  You can use this to restore the operating system to the condition it came out of the box.  You will lose all of your data and programs which were installed from a disc or downloaded.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:14 PM

What is the model of this Sony?

Most OEM computer have a second partition which contains the System Recovery files.  You can use this to restore the operating system to the condition it came out of the box.  You will lose all of your data and programs which were installed from a disc or downloaded.

It says disk is required.

I actually called Microsoft and told them my situation. They emailed me an ISO (W7 64bit). I downloaded it on a 64bit machine that I have had problems with for some time although no one can find anything wrong. I then copied it to a usb with no problems except after it finished a log said that it was copied to my usb flashdrive successfully except it could not copy the bootsect portion. I then check out Microsoft site and it says it will do this when using a 32bit machine to download. I then tried on my laptop which is also 64bit. The same results. That said,.....I have had many strange issues with these machines so it is no surprise. I guess my next try will be to go borrow someone else's machine on their network. If it works I will at least know that there is something going on with my machines.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:30 PM

Please answer the question I posted.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:35 PM

Sorry!   PCG-61A12L

When I click edit, the window where my post is quickly flashes a screen that looks like the text is a different type of encoding. Not sure that is the correct terminology. It changes too quick to make it out. I know for sure I did see a # symbol before the PCG. I know probably nothing, just have not noticed before.

I also did an experiment with the machine (Sony) I started the topic about. I tried plugging all of the usb ports up with something and also enabled booting from a storage device in the bios. The disk (one that would not work before) actually booted normally. I then did as I always do and formatted every partition except the oem partition. I then got an error saying that there is no system partition nor can one be made. That is not what it said exactly but close. I then tried use the repair option and got this message. This message is exact as the message is still on my screen. I am waiting for advice before I make my next move..

It said startup has been repaired. Do you want to restart?

Repair Details:

The following startup options will be added:

Name: Windows recovery environment (recovered)

Path: Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim

Windows Device: Partition=E: (10930)MB

Edited by bwrighttwo, 08 March 2014 - 10:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users